“Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says.” Cor 14:34
If we take cultural relativism seriously, there are very few churches in the 21st century that uphold Paul’s views of the early church on women. However, with Putin set to visit Mount Athos for the first time, media attention has turned to the surprising list of places that women are still barred from, with Mount Athos firmly at the top- where women have not set foot for 1000 years.
There are two main reasons that Mount Athos in particular has remained female free, firstly as a monastery the island is one of total celibacy and women are thought to be an unnecessary temptation for the monks. Secondly, there is a tale of the Virgin Mary who discovered the island and loved it so much she asked for it to be hers, it is seen that because of this she is all the female influence that the island needs!
The list is not just monasteries, however, there are a number of religious institutions, many of which are based in India that don’t allow women of possible menstruation age, something that is seen as an unholy. Religious institutions aren’t the only places that feature on the list, there is even a Starbucks in Jeddah that refused entry to women, indicative, perhaps, of the culture of the country of Saudi Arabia.
Potential Theology students might wish to think about the implications of religious texts for the 21st century and how the sociology of religion affects physical spaces. HSPS applicants may wish to consider how these cultures have developed without women. Finally, Geography candidates can think about how the movement of cultures and the movement of women is affected by these kinds of bans.
- Personal Statement Solution: Brainstorm Sheet Writing your personal statement may just be the grimmest part... Read more >
- ELAT mini mock paper If you’re applying to read English at Oxford, you will... Read more >
- April’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Modern Languages and Linguistics Reading Lists Applying for languages? It’s always difficult to narrow down what... Read more >
- Economics & Logic Puzzle: ticket touts We asked top Economics blogger Resham Kotecha to challenge us... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge mini mock & answers The Thinking Skills Assessment is required for a number of... Read more >
- Download a Law Personal Statement 2 “I have read The Origins of the Second World War... Read more >
- Admissions Tests: our tips as featured in the Independent Last year, the Independent asked us to provide some simple... Read more >
- Access and Financial Support at Oxbridge As two of the world’s top universities, both Oxford and... Read more >
- July’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Download a Physics Personal Statement “Over the past few years I have become gradually more... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test mini mock paper & answers If you are applying to do Law at Cambridge, chances... Read more >
- Communications expert top tips One of our communications specialists, has his own advice for... Read more >
- Your free E-book… “So You Want To Go To Oxbridge? Tell me about a banana…” If you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge, there are... Read more >
- Mathematics Reading List Studying Mathematics at university requires a different approach to studying... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: The Age of Census A census-taker knocks on a door, and asks the woman... Read more >
- Cambridge’s Supplementary Application Questionnaire After you have submitted your UCAS application to apply to... Read more >
- English: answer like a pro We have a lot of questions year on year from... Read more >
- ELAT overview If you’re applying for English, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- Personal Statement Action Plan: Section 2 of 2 You’ve done your reading. You’ve made your brainstorm. You’ve possibly... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: a game of chess We asked one of our top Maths Oxbridge tutors for... Read more >
- Statistics: 2015 Annual Survey Want to find out what your chances are of getting... Read more >
- History Reading Lists The main challenge in the step up from school to... Read more >
- June’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >