“Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says.” Cor 14:34
If we take cultural relativism seriously, there are very few churches in the 21st century that uphold Paul’s views of the early church on women. However, with Putin set to visit Mount Athos for the first time, media attention has turned to the surprising list of places that women are still barred from, with Mount Athos firmly at the top- where women have not set foot for 1000 years.
There are two main reasons that Mount Athos in particular has remained female free, firstly as a monastery the island is one of total celibacy and women are thought to be an unnecessary temptation for the monks. Secondly, there is a tale of the Virgin Mary who discovered the island and loved it so much she asked for it to be hers, it is seen that because of this she is all the female influence that the island needs!
The list is not just monasteries, however, there are a number of religious institutions, many of which are based in India that don’t allow women of possible menstruation age, something that is seen as an unholy. Religious institutions aren’t the only places that feature on the list, there is even a Starbucks in Jeddah that refused entry to women, indicative, perhaps, of the culture of the country of Saudi Arabia.
Potential Theology students might wish to think about the implications of religious texts for the 21st century and how the sociology of religion affects physical spaces. HSPS applicants may wish to consider how these cultures have developed without women. Finally, Geography candidates can think about how the movement of cultures and the movement of women is affected by these kinds of bans.
- June’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Bursaries Both Oxford and Cambridge are committed to the principle that... Read more >
- Human Social and Political Science (HSPS) Reading List If you are applying for HSPS at Cambridge, it is... Read more >
- Maths & Hard Sciences: answer like a pro Maths, Physics, Chemistry – they’re brilliant because there is a right... Read more >
- For Your Reference: Admissions Test Factfiles The majority of Oxford courses, and an increasing number of... Read more >
- TSA Oxford mini mock & answers Thinking is very important to Oxford, so they’ve devised an... Read more >
- March’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- How is the BMAT marked? The BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) is marked significantly differently from... Read more >
- The Architecture of an Education: what are colleges all about? Explaining the difference between Oxford and Cambridge colleges and the... Read more >
- HAT mini mock paper The History Aptitude Test or ‘HAT’ must be sat by... Read more >
- Your Open Day Guide Open Days can be an extremely useful way of finding... Read more >
- Access and Financial Support at Oxbridge As two of the world’s top universities, both Oxford and... Read more >
- Cambridge’s Supplementary Application Questionnaire After you have submitted your UCAS application to apply to... Read more >
- International Applicant Handbook This incredible resource will guide you through every stage of... Read more >
- What makes a good interview? The notion of an academic interview with prominent Oxbridge academics is a major... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge Example Questions and Answers If you have completed the TSA Cambridge course report and are... Read more >
- The Differences Between Similar Courses At Oxford and Cambridge For some applicants, deciding between applying to Oxford or Cambridge... Read more >
- Social and Political Sciences Reading List We’ve brought together a wide-ranging bibliography to help those applying... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement 2 “Beyond this essential interest in the subject, I find that... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement Read our sample Medicine personal statement for application tips. Read more >
- Biological Sciences & Medicine: answer like a pro What kind of questions can you expect in an Oxford... Read more >
- Science Puzzle: experimenting with mice… We asked our Medicine graduate Jennifer to tell us a... Read more >
- 20 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- Geography and Earth Sciences Reading Lists Whether you’re looking at Geography, Earth Sciences (Geology), or Land... Read more >