Discussion around the waste of food predominates at the end of the supply chain, the supermarket shelf. The focus of food waste around this area of the food industry led to France becoming the first country to legally force supermarkets to donate unsold food to charities and food banks. But of the 7.1 million tonnes of food annually wasted in France only 11% of this comes from shops.
The UN Food and Agricultural Organisation (FAO) estimates that a third of the food made for human consumption is squandered. Each year around 1.3 billion tonnes of food is wasted worldwide and the majority of this food is lost before it reaches a consumer shelf. This is mostly due to crops not being harvested and loss during transport and storage.
European farmers can find that it costs more to harvest the crop than it will make in a saturated market. A detailed study in 2009 found that wasted crops in Italy had a nominal value of around €3.5 billion. Attempts to combat this issue often lead to overproduction, such as the European Union’s policy of guaranteeing a fixed price for farmers regardless of the market size leading to additional cost to dispose of the unused food due to lack of demand.
Paradoxically it would seem that being frugal, to reduce this food waste, would have a colossal economic cost. A study in 2017 found that food waste in Europe equated to 76 kilograms per person per year, which they labelled an “unsustainable level of waste”. Yet they predicted that removing this waste this could lead to the loss of 600,000 jobs in Germany alone. This highlights the complexity of the relationship of what we eat and what we need.
Economics applicants can research EU and other international regulations on food prices and the effects of this on their respective markets. HSPS applicants can consider government rhetoric related to the overemphasis on waste by supermarkets compared to limited action earlier in the supply chain.
- Communications expert top tips One of our communications specialists, has his own advice for... Read more >
- Music Scholarships There is a wide range of musical scholarships available to... Read more >
- Course By Course Fact Sheet This helpful guide sets out by course what grades you... Read more >
- Personal Statement Solution: Brainstorm Sheet Writing your personal statement may just be the grimmest part... Read more >
- International Applicant Handbook This incredible resource will guide you through every stage of... Read more >
- Law Reading List Cambridge Law and Oxford Law reading lists and recommended reading. Read more >
- Music Reading List Applying for Music at Cambridge or Oxford requires a range... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test overview If you’re applying to read Law at Cambridge you will probably need... Read more >
- HAT mini mock paper The History Aptitude Test or ‘HAT’ must be sat by... Read more >
- 30 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- LNAT ‘So you want to go to Oxbridge’ Answers If you have been reading our book ‘So you want... Read more >
- Modern Languages and Linguistics Reading Lists Applying for languages? It’s always difficult to narrow down what... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge Example Questions and Answers If you have completed the TSA Cambridge course report and are... Read more >
- Social and Political Sciences Reading List We’ve brought together a wide-ranging bibliography to help those applying... Read more >
- Your free E-book… “So You Want To Go To Oxbridge? Tell me about a banana…” If you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge, there are... Read more >
- Statistics: 2015 Annual Survey Want to find out what your chances are of getting... Read more >
- Oxford college snapshots With 35 colleges and Permanent Private Halls, choosing how to... Read more >
- UCAS: A How To Guide The process of applying to university through UCAS can seem... Read more >
- TSA overview A huge range of subjects at both Oxford and Cambridge... Read more >
- PAT overview If you’re applying for Physics, Materials or a relevant joint... Read more >
- UCAT mini mock paper & answers If you are applying for Medicine or Dentistry, many of... Read more >
- PAT mini mock paper & answers The Physics Aptitude Test or PAT is required by Oxford... Read more >
- The OA School’s Magazine: Issue 1 Last year, Oxbridge Applications launched its first ever Schools’ Magazine,... Read more >
- The Most Competitive Subjects At Oxbridge (And How To Choose Wisely) Oxford and Cambridge are two of the best universities in the... Read more >