A Japanese team of researchers have enabled healthy baby mice to be born on the International Space Station (ISS) using freeze-dried sperm stored in space. The experiment shows that life away from Earth is feasible, with sperm banks potentially being made on the Moon. It also raises the questions of whether mammals, including humans, can permanently live and procreate in space.
The freeze-dried mouse sperm samples were stored on the space station for nine months before being sent back down to Earth and thawed at room temperature. Although the sperm DNA was slightly damaged by the trip, it still did the job of fertilising mouse eggs and creating healthy “space pups”, with fertilisation and birth rates similar to healthy “ground control” mice.
The space pups had only minor differences in their genetic code and grew to adulthood, with a few being allowed to mate and became mums and dads themselves.
This is not the first time such experiments have been conducted. In 1988, German researchers sent a sample of bull semen into orbit on a rocket and discovered that sperm were able to swim much faster in low gravity. Another space test showed fish eggs could be fertilised and develop normally during a 15-day orbital flight, suggesting a brief trip into space might not be too harmful for reproduction.
Work still needs to be done to ensure that such an experiment would work in space.
Students going for Medical and Biological Sciences should look further into the risk of radiation damage on the Moon and the facilities that would help to protect sperm, eggs and embryos from harm. They should also explore the medical and psychological questions raised.
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement 2 “Further work experience has highlighted some of the demands and challenges... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge International Grade Requirements If you’re applying to Cambridge or Oxford but you’ve not... Read more >
- Access and Financial Support at Oxbridge As two of the world’s top universities, both Oxford and... Read more >
- Medicine, Maths, and Economics Puzzles We asked three of our top Medicine, Maths, and... Read more >
- History of Art Reading List History of Art at Oxford and Cambridge allows you to... Read more >
- 20 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- Personal Statement Solution: Brainstorm Sheet Writing your personal statement may just be the grimmest part... Read more >
- What’s the Most Important Part of Your Application? An application to Oxford or Cambridge involves various different elements,... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement Read our sample Medicine personal statement for application tips. Read more >
- PAT overview If you’re applying for Physics, Materials or a relevant joint... Read more >
- Is a “Religious Morality” rational? One of our Oxbridge graduate tutors, Emma, looks into the... Read more >
- The Most Competitive Subjects At Oxbridge (And How To Choose Wisely) Oxford and Cambridge are two of the best universities in the... Read more >
- Communications expert top tips One of our communications specialists, has his own advice for... Read more >
- College selection checklist Your college at Oxford or Cambridge is where you will... Read more >
- January’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Your Open Day Guide Open Days can be an extremely useful way of finding... Read more >
- Are my grades good enough for Oxbridge? Grades are an area of much misunderstanding when it comes... Read more >
- PAT mini mock paper & answers The Physics Aptitude Test or PAT is required by Oxford... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge mini mock & answers The Thinking Skills Assessment is required for a number of... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge Example Questions and Answers If you have completed the TSA Cambridge course report and are... Read more >
- English: answer like a pro We have a lot of questions year on year from... Read more >
- Social and Political Sciences Reading List We’ve brought together a wide-ranging bibliography to help those applying... Read more >
- Download an English Personal Statement “My background as a student at a European School, including... Read more >
- Funding Your Oxbridge Degree Many people are under the impression that it is more... Read more >