Which chocolate bar is made of chocolate-covered wafers and has 4 fingers? The answer is – any chocolate bar.
Copy-cat KitKats could be hitting the shelves near you following a decision by the advocate general of the European Court of Justice, who said that Nestle’s attempt to trade mark the recognisable 4-finger shape does not comply with EU law.
The courts have, throughout time, been chock full of similar cases. Previously, Nestle had blocked an attempt by Cadbury to trade mark the particular hue of purple which is used for its wrappers and advertising, though Biomedical Scientists may argue that this is sensible given the different ways in which humans can see the same colour (remember the blue and black dress debate?)
Economists may be interested in the implications of the case on competition in the market, as the Swiss company’s efforts to protect the KitKat shape have been fiercely opposed by Cadbury and two other confectioners, who may now create rival products.
Lawyers should consider the refined requirement that a product’s “distinctiveness” needs to go beyond “mere recognition”, the shape alone must distinguish that product as being made by that company. A legal comparison between the trade mark application of Lego bricks, which was also unsuccessful, and Coca-Cola bottles, which was successful, would also be of interest. The trend may be explained as an unwillingness to allow companies to monopolise particular shapes, where the shape in question is not seen until after the product has been purchased.
We recommend pondering these things while you have a break, and a chocolate covered 4-fingered wafer snack which may or may not be a KitKat.
- Stats report: our annual survey Every year, we survey hundreds of applicants who applied the... Read more >
- Download a Law Personal Statement 2 “I have read The Origins of the Second World War... Read more >
- Sports psychology for interviews Channel your inner champion Major sports personalities use these techniques... Read more >
- Biological Sciences & Medicine: answer like a pro What kind of questions can you expect in an Oxford... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement Read our sample Medicine personal statement for application tips. Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test overview If you’re applying for Modern and Medieval Languages at Cambridge,... Read more >
- July’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Experimental Psychology & Psychological and Behavioural Sciences (PBS) Reading List If you are interested in Psychology, Oxford offers the Psychology... Read more >
- Application Calendar Making an application to Oxford or Cambridge can seem like... Read more >
- Your free E-book… “So You Want To Go To Oxbridge? Tell me about a banana…” If you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge, there are... Read more >
- Cambridge’s Supplementary Application Questionnaire After you have submitted your UCAS application to apply to... Read more >
- TSA overview A huge range of subjects at both Oxford and Cambridge... Read more >
- Using stats: dos and don’ts When making an application, you must be careful about using... Read more >
- Statistics: 2015 Annual Survey Want to find out what your chances are of getting... Read more >
- Cambridge college snapshots Despite having a smaller number of colleges than Oxford, each of... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge Access Schemes Oxford and Cambridge aim to offer places to the best... Read more >
- 30 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- International Applicant Handbook This incredible resource will guide you through every stage of... Read more >
- MAT mini mock paper & answers If you are planning to apply to Oxford to read... Read more >
- COPA & International Deadlines Most deadlines are the same for all those applying to... Read more >
- Course By Course Fact Sheet This helpful guide sets out by course what grades you... Read more >
- Your Open Day Guide Open Days can be an extremely useful way of finding... Read more >
- Access and Financial Support at Oxbridge As two of the world’s top universities, both Oxford and... Read more >
- January’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >