Which chocolate bar is made of chocolate-covered wafers and has 4 fingers? The answer is – any chocolate bar.
Copy-cat KitKats could be hitting the shelves near you following a decision by the advocate general of the European Court of Justice, who said that Nestle’s attempt to trade mark the recognisable 4-finger shape does not comply with EU law.
The courts have, throughout time, been chock full of similar cases. Previously, Nestle had blocked an attempt by Cadbury to trade mark the particular hue of purple which is used for its wrappers and advertising, though Biomedical Scientists may argue that this is sensible given the different ways in which humans can see the same colour (remember the blue and black dress debate?)
Economists may be interested in the implications of the case on competition in the market, as the Swiss company’s efforts to protect the KitKat shape have been fiercely opposed by Cadbury and two other confectioners, who may now create rival products.
Lawyers should consider the refined requirement that a product’s “distinctiveness” needs to go beyond “mere recognition”, the shape alone must distinguish that product as being made by that company. A legal comparison between the trade mark application of Lego bricks, which was also unsuccessful, and Coca-Cola bottles, which was successful, would also be of interest. The trend may be explained as an unwillingness to allow companies to monopolise particular shapes, where the shape in question is not seen until after the product has been purchased.
We recommend pondering these things while you have a break, and a chocolate covered 4-fingered wafer snack which may or may not be a KitKat.
- Your free E-book… “So You Want To Go To Oxbridge? Tell me about a banana…” If you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge, there are... Read more >
- BMAT mini mock paper & answers With over 90% of applicants now preparing for the admissions... Read more >
- Are my grades good enough for Oxbridge? Grades are an area of much misunderstanding when it comes... Read more >
- What makes a good interview? The notion of an academic interview with prominent Oxbridge academics is a major... Read more >
- Communications expert top tips One of our communications specialists, has his own advice for... Read more >
- History of Art Reading List History of Art at Oxford and Cambridge allows you to... Read more >
- PAT mini mock paper & answers The Physics Aptitude Test or PAT is required by Oxford... Read more >
- PAT overview If you’re applying for Physics, Materials or a relevant joint... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge mini mock & answers The Thinking Skills Assessment is required for a number of... Read more >
- Sports psychology for interviews Channel your inner champion Major sports personalities use these techniques... Read more >
- MAT mini mock paper & answers If you are planning to apply to Oxford to read... Read more >
- Download a Physics Personal Statement “Over the past few years I have become gradually more... Read more >
- MLAT overview If you’re applying for Modern Languages, or their joint schools, you... Read more >
- The Great Collection of Past Oxbridge Interview Questions The great thing about an Oxbridge interview is that it... Read more >
- Cambridge’s Supplementary Application Questionnaire After you have submitted your UCAS application to apply to... Read more >
- Physical, Mathematical & Chemical Sciences Reading Lists If you’re applying for Physics, Natural Sciences (P), Maths, Computer... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge Example Questions and Answers If you have completed the TSA Cambridge course report and are... Read more >
- 30 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test overview If you’re applying for Modern and Medieval Languages at Cambridge,... Read more >
- College selection checklist Your college at Oxford or Cambridge is where you will... Read more >
- Bursaries Both Oxford and Cambridge are committed to the principle that... Read more >
- English: answer like a pro We have a lot of questions year on year from... Read more >
- Classics and Arch & Anth Reading Lists If you’re applying for Classics, or for Archaeology and Anthropology,... Read more >
- Oxford or Cambridge? Many applicants know that they want the best, but when... Read more >