If you’re a fan of science fiction films, then you may be familiar with the idea of the robotic hand. They have been used widely in such films as Mad Max: Fury Road, Captain America: Civil War, and is even sported by Luke Skywalker himself in Star Wars: The Last Jedi. However, with recent dramatic developments in the fields of medical technology, this seemingly far fetched idea is fast becoming a reality.
A team of scientists in Rome have developed the first ever portable bionic hand that also has a sense of artificial touch, and that can be worn outside of a laboratory. Previous to this, the same team had developed a bionic hand that has sensory abilities, but the technology was so large that it was not portable. Now a small rucksack can contain the technology needed for the sensors in the fingers to relay feeling (via the small main computer) to tiny electrodes implanted into the patient’s upper arm.
Although this is still a prototype, the scientists are keen to keep minimising the technology until the sensory bionic hand can be commercialised. This could even be incorporated into the 3D printing technology craze, which is already being used for printing prosthetic limbs. These printed replicas are far less advanced than this recent prototype, however they are advanced enough to be used for complex tasks, such as playing musical instruments.
Students thinking about applying for Medicine may want to think about how the NHS can invest in new and dynamic ways to combat previously irrecoverable medical conditions. Psychology applicants may want to think about how the brain can trick the body into thinking that it has a real limb. Students who may want to study Philosophy should think about the post-humanist line between man and machine.
Perhaps this type of technology isn’t in a galaxy that far, far away…
- Is a “Religious Morality” rational? One of our Oxbridge graduate tutors, Emma, looks into the... Read more >
- Download a Law Personal Statement 2 “I have read The Origins of the Second World War... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement 2 “Beyond this essential interest in the subject, I find that... Read more >
- Cambridge’s Supplementary Application Questionnaire After you have submitted your UCAS application to apply to... Read more >
- Download a Biology Personal Statement “Assisting with the post mortem of a dairy cow during... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test mini mock paper & answers If you are applying to do Law at Cambridge, chances... Read more >
- What Results Do You Need In Your Exams? At the heart of every Oxbridge offer is an excellent... Read more >
- What makes a good interview? The notion of an academic interview with prominent Oxbridge academics is a major... Read more >
- Personal statement: our tips in the Independent Here are 3 quick tips every hopeful should consider before... Read more >
- Choosing a course From Arch and Anth to Veterinary Medicine, the range of... Read more >
- Experimental Psychology & Psychological and Behavioural Sciences (PBS) Reading List If you are interested in Psychology, Oxford offers the Psychology... Read more >
- Download a Physics Personal Statement “Over the past few years I have become gradually more... Read more >
- Information on choosing a course at Oxford or Cambridge “Perhaps it is because Oxbridge encourages more ‘traditional’ A Level... Read more >
- MAT mini mock paper & answers If you are planning to apply to Oxford to read... Read more >
- Download a Philosophy Personal Statement “Philosophy of the mind is my particular interest, especially the... Read more >
- Download a History & English Personal Statement “Evidently reading is a major passion and Graham Greene has... Read more >
- Law Reading List Cambridge Law and Oxford Law reading lists and recommended reading. Read more >
- English Language and Literature Reading List If you're applying for English, have a look at our... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge Example Questions and Answers If you have completed the TSA Cambridge course report and are... Read more >
- The OA School’s Magazine: Issue 1 Last year, Oxbridge Applications launched its first ever Schools’ Magazine,... Read more >
- Oxbridge Open Day Guide With open days drawing ever nearer, applicants and parents alike... Read more >
- Music Scholarships There is a wide range of musical scholarships available to... Read more >
- University Admissions Tests: How Would You Reply? Here we have a few questions and answers to sample... Read more >
- Physical, Mathematical & Chemical Sciences Reading Lists If you’re applying for Physics, Natural Sciences (P), Maths, Computer... Read more >