If you’re a fan of science fiction films, then you may be familiar with the idea of the robotic hand. They have been used widely in such films as Mad Max: Fury Road, Captain America: Civil War, and is even sported by Luke Skywalker himself in Star Wars: The Last Jedi. However, with recent dramatic developments in the fields of medical technology, this seemingly far fetched idea is fast becoming a reality.
A team of scientists in Rome have developed the first ever portable bionic hand that also has a sense of artificial touch, and that can be worn outside of a laboratory. Previous to this, the same team had developed a bionic hand that has sensory abilities, but the technology was so large that it was not portable. Now a small rucksack can contain the technology needed for the sensors in the fingers to relay feeling (via the small main computer) to tiny electrodes implanted into the patient’s upper arm.
Although this is still a prototype, the scientists are keen to keep minimising the technology until the sensory bionic hand can be commercialised. This could even be incorporated into the 3D printing technology craze, which is already being used for printing prosthetic limbs. These printed replicas are far less advanced than this recent prototype, however they are advanced enough to be used for complex tasks, such as playing musical instruments.
Students thinking about applying for Medicine may want to think about how the NHS can invest in new and dynamic ways to combat previously irrecoverable medical conditions. Psychology applicants may want to think about how the brain can trick the body into thinking that it has a real limb. Students who may want to study Philosophy should think about the post-humanist line between man and machine.
Perhaps this type of technology isn’t in a galaxy that far, far away…
- Choosing The Right A-Levels Picking subjects at A level can be a difficult decision... Read more >
- June’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Human Social and Political Science (HSPS) Reading List If you are applying for HSPS at Cambridge, it is... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test overview If you’re applying to read Law at Cambridge you will probably need... Read more >
- Philosophy Reading List If you are interested in Philosophy, there are several options... Read more >
- MAT mini mock paper & answers If you are planning to apply to Oxford to read... Read more >
- Law: answer like a pro Law is a notoriously competitive subject; this, along with the... Read more >
- 30 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- Economics & Logic Puzzle: ticket touts We asked top Economics blogger Resham Kotecha to challenge us... Read more >
- Download a History & English Personal Statement “Evidently reading is a major passion and Graham Greene has... Read more >
- Geography and Earth Sciences Reading Lists Whether you’re looking at Geography, Earth Sciences (Geology), or Land... Read more >
- January’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test mini mock paper & answers If you are applying to do Law at Cambridge, chances... Read more >
- Statistics: 2015 Annual Survey Want to find out what your chances are of getting... Read more >
- BMAT mini mock paper & answers With over 90% of applicants now preparing for the admissions... Read more >
- UKCAT mini mock paper & answers If you are applying for Medicine or Dentistry, many of... Read more >
- Music Reading List Applying for Music at Cambridge or Oxford requires a range... Read more >
- April’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- MLAT mini mock paper & answers The MLAT or Modern Languages Test is required by Oxford... Read more >
- PAT mini mock paper & answers The Physics Aptitude Test or PAT is required by Oxford... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement “I have a keen interest in current affairs but have... Read more >
- Sports psychology for interviews Channel your inner champion Major sports personalities use these techniques... Read more >
- How is the BMAT marked? The BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) is marked significantly differently from... Read more >
- ELAT overview If you’re applying for English, or its joint schools, you... Read more >