Last month in July, the BBC reported that Tesco has become the first UK supermarket to cover the cost of the tampon tax for customers. They circumvented the issue of VAT by cutting the price of nearly 100 women’s sanitary products by 5%. As a consequence, Tesco will absorb the cost of VAT. This was a decision made in order to help women who find themselves in financial difficulty.
The issue around tampons has been at the centre of feminist lobbying in recent months. Campaigners argue that sanitary products are a necessity and should not stand as a costly expense that could mean women are unable to afford products. Lobbyists have been demanding that the government scraps VAT entirely on women’s sanitary products for years, but due to EU rules, dissenting party members and no strong government line it has been unable to lower the rate below 5%.
There are multiple ways that students can approach this move by Tesco. What are the implications of a major corporation taking such initiative on a controversial subject?
Students that study HSPS or History often think about how social moods and ideas change. For example, how government actions can often lead or indeed hinder change. With multinational corporations like Tesco now having more power and influence, do they have the capability to lead social change with their actions?
It will be interesting to see if other UK supermarkets follow Tesco’s lead.
In terms of corporate responsibility, students wanting to study Economics may want to look at how wealthy companies like Tesco now have the ability to make decisions based on moral standpoints and guidance.
- MLAT mini mock paper & answers The MLAT or Modern Languages Test is required by Oxford... Read more >
- Physical, Mathematical & Chemical Sciences Reading Lists If you’re applying for Physics, Natural Sciences (P), Maths, Computer... Read more >
- Funding Your Oxbridge Degree Many people are under the impression that it is more... Read more >
- The Differences Between Similar Courses At Oxford and Cambridge For some applicants, deciding between applying to Oxford or Cambridge... Read more >
- Download a Law Personal Statement “Participating in a Citizenship Foundation Mock Trial Competition during Year... Read more >
- Geography and Earth Sciences Reading Lists Whether you’re looking at Geography, Earth Sciences (Geology), or Land... Read more >
- Sports psychology for interviews Channel your inner champion Major sports personalities use these techniques... Read more >
- International Application Calendar Keeping on top of the various deadlines and decisions when... Read more >
- Social and Political Sciences Reading List We’ve brought together a wide-ranging bibliography to help those applying... Read more >
- UKCAT mini mock paper & answers If you are applying for Medicine or Dentistry, many of... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement 2 “Beyond this essential interest in the subject, I find that... Read more >
- March’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- The Architecture of an Education: what are colleges all about? Explaining the difference between Oxford and Cambridge colleges and the... Read more >
- Music Scholarships There is a wide range of musical scholarships available to... Read more >
- TSA overview A huge range of subjects at both Oxford and Cambridge... Read more >
- Biological Sciences & Medicine: answer like a pro What kind of questions can you expect in an Oxford... Read more >
- BMAT mini mock paper & answers With over 90% of applicants now preparing for the admissions... Read more >
- English: answer like a pro We have a lot of questions year on year from... Read more >
- Medicine, Maths, and Economics Puzzles We asked three of our top Medicine, Maths, and... Read more >
- 5 Easy Ways To Support Your Son Or Daughter Before Their Oxbridge Interviews The weeks before the Oxford and Cambridge interviews are a... Read more >
- June’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Personal Statement Workbook Download A personal statement is a unique document which is all... Read more >
- Stats report: our annual survey Every year, we survey hundreds of applicants who applied the... Read more >
- Information on choosing a course at Oxford or Cambridge “Perhaps it is because Oxbridge encourages more ‘traditional’ A Level... Read more >