The Swedish government has joined ranks with three opposition parties to pledge a commitment towards achieving 100 percent renewable energy by 2040.
This deal demonstrates commitment to developing renewable energy and an approach to phasing out nuclear energy. However, deadlines to phase out nuclear energy have not been set because of disputes between the parties.
Sweden’s governing parties – the Social Democrats and Green Party – collaborated with the opposition Moderates, the Centre Party, and the Christian Democrats in order to achieve the deal. However, the Left Party and Sweden Democrats, who had participated in the energy talks, did not accept the final agreement. Neither did the Liberal Party, leaving the negotiations in June, due to disagreements with proposed subsidies for wind power. HSPS and PPE applicants should think of examples of cross-party energy deals that exist in the UK. Which ways can governments phase out nuclear energy?
As a result of no end-date being set to end nuclear power, nuclear reactors can be built. Geography students should consider debates around nuclear energy: what are the benefits and hazards of nuclear energy? Engineering students should think about green alternatives they would propose in the pursuit of a green energy driven city.
Additionally, extra tax on nuclear energy will be phased out in just a few years. Economics students should consider the role of tax in green energy and environmental policy efforts.
- What’s the Most Important Part of Your Application? An application to Oxford or Cambridge involves various different elements,... Read more >
- ELAT overview If you’re applying for English, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- 20 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- Economics & Logic Puzzle: ticket touts We asked top Economics blogger Resham Kotecha to challenge us... Read more >
- Are my grades good enough for Oxbridge? Grades are an area of much misunderstanding when it comes... Read more >
- LNAT ‘So you want to go to Oxbridge’ Answers If you have been reading our book ‘So you want... Read more >
- International Applicant Handbook This incredible resource will guide you through every stage of... Read more >
- LNAT overview If you’re applying for Law at Oxford you will need to sit... Read more >
- What makes a good interview? The notion of an academic interview with prominent Oxbridge academics is a major... Read more >
- The OA School’s Magazine: Issue 1 Last year, Oxbridge Applications launched its first ever Schools’ Magazine,... Read more >
- Oxford college snapshots With 35 colleges and Permanent Private Halls, choosing how to... Read more >
- How is the BMAT marked? The BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) is marked significantly differently from... Read more >
- Is a “Religious Morality” rational? One of our Oxbridge graduate tutors, Emma, looks into the... Read more >
- Philosophy Reading List If you are interested in Philosophy, there are several options... Read more >
- MAT overview If you’re applying for Maths or Computer Science at Oxford you will need... Read more >
- January’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test overview If you’re applying for Modern and Medieval Languages at Cambridge,... Read more >
- Personal Statement Workbook Download A personal statement is a unique document which is all... Read more >
- TSA overview A huge range of subjects at both Oxford and Cambridge... Read more >
- The Differences Between Similar Courses At Oxford and Cambridge For some applicants, deciding between applying to Oxford or Cambridge... Read more >
- Law: answer like a pro Law is a notoriously competitive subject; this, along with the... Read more >
- Stats report: our annual survey Every year, we survey hundreds of applicants who applied the... Read more >
- For Your Reference: Admissions Test Factfiles The majority of Oxford courses, and an increasing number of... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement Read our sample Medicine personal statement for application tips. Read more >