Nasa recently announced that it has discovered a planet is more similar to Earth than any other previously known. The exoplanet, which has the rather unmemorable name Kepler 452b, has been described as Earth’s ‘bigger, older cousin’. Though some 60% larger than our planet, it is in the ‘habitable zone’ of its star. It experiences similar temperatures, similar lengths of year, and may even have water on its surface.
Scientists across the world have spent their entire careers in pursuit of a definitive answer to the question of whether we are alone in the Universe. Identifying Earth-like planets is a key line of research: since life flourishes in the conditions we have here on Earth, it makes sense to seek out ‘cousin’ planets elsewhere.
However, some argue that this may be too narrow an approach. Biological Natural Scientists and Biologists should investigate ‘extremophiles’. These are organisms that thrive in ‘extreme environments’, such as high pressure and temperature. However, these are of course only extreme from a human perspective. The numerous species of bacteria species found on hydrothermal vents on the ocean floor shows that seeking out a planet with similar surface conditions to our own may not be the only way to find life.
If Kepler 452b were to prove habitable, Physics and Engineering applicants should consider the feasibility of actually getting there – Stephen Hawking himself has proclaimed that humans will one day have to leave Earth. Geographers should think about when this time could come, with humanity facing challenges including climate change and an Increasing population.
- Law: answer like a pro Law is a notoriously competitive subject; this, along with the... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement 2 “Beyond this essential interest in the subject, I find that... Read more >
- Personal Statement Action Plan: Section 2 of 2 You’ve done your reading. You’ve made your brainstorm. You’ve possibly... Read more >
- How is the BMAT marked? The BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) is marked significantly differently from... Read more >
- Experimental Psychology & Psychological and Behavioural Sciences (PBS) Reading List If you are interested in Psychology, Oxford offers the Psychology... Read more >
- Cambridge college snapshots Despite having a smaller number of colleges than Oxford, each of... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test overview If you’re applying to read Law at Cambridge you will probably need... Read more >
- The Differences Between Similar Courses At Oxford and Cambridge For some applicants, deciding between applying to Oxford or Cambridge... Read more >
- Personal Statement Workbook Download A personal statement is a unique document which is all... Read more >
- 5 Easy Ways To Support Your Son Or Daughter Before Their Oxbridge Interviews The weeks before the Oxford and Cambridge interviews are a... Read more >
- Your Open Day Guide Open Days can be an extremely useful way of finding... Read more >
- Bursaries Both Oxford and Cambridge are committed to the principle that... Read more >
- Cambridge’s Supplementary Application Questionnaire After you have submitted your UCAS application to apply to... Read more >
- June’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- PAT mini mock paper & answers The Physics Aptitude Test or PAT is required by Oxford... Read more >
- Social and Political Sciences Reading List We’ve brought together a wide-ranging bibliography to help those applying... Read more >
- Geography and Earth Sciences Reading Lists Whether you’re looking at Geography, Earth Sciences (Geology), or Land... Read more >
- Download a Law Personal Statement “Participating in a Citizenship Foundation Mock Trial Competition during Year... Read more >
- MAT overview If you’re applying for Maths or Computer Science at Oxford you will need... Read more >
- LNAT mini mock paper & answers The LNAT, required for those applying for Law at Oxford... Read more >
- Taking a Gap Year There are a number of advantages to taking a gap... Read more >
- What makes a good interview? The notion of an academic interview with prominent Oxbridge academics is a major... Read more >
- What Results Do You Need In Your Exams? At the heart of every Oxbridge offer is an excellent... Read more >
- Human Social and Political Science (HSPS) Reading List If you are applying for HSPS at Cambridge, it is... Read more >