In the fantasy book world, one would expect that most fights would involve medieval weaponry or magic. Fantasy fiction writer, Terry Goodkind, however, has taken to the internet to express his grievances with the cover art to his new book, ‘Shroud of Eternity’.
Designed by the well-known illustrator, Bastien Lecouffe-Deharme (who has worked on artwork for notable authors such as Chuck Palahniuk, H.P. Lovecraft and Philip K. Dick), the jacket design was described by Goodkind as ‘laughably bad’ in a Facebook poll he created for the public.
Unfortunately, Goodkind’s criticism of his book cover has turned many of his loyal readers against him. Many of Goodkind’s former fans have announced that they will no longer be purchasing books from the author, with the artistic community showing their support of Lecouffe-Deharme.
Since posting his comment describing the novel as a ‘a great book with a very bad cover’, Goodkind has edited his remark to say ‘Not the artist’s fault, of course. The quality of the artwork is terrific. The characters are not represented well and that’s the responsibility of the publisher’. Lecouffe-Deharme has argued that his depictions of the characters closely resemble those shown on the dust jacket of the Goodkind’s last book in the series and that designers are paid to follow the instructions of the publisher and the author.
Students hoping to study English at Oxbridge may wish to examine the impact of a book’s cover on how characters are perceived by a reader. Those aspiring to read Art History and Fine Art could explore how successfully artists can render another person’s vision. The way in which human beings air disputes publicly might be an interesting topic for Experimental Psychology students to delve into.
- Medicine, Maths, and Economics Puzzles We asked three of our top Medicine, Maths, and... Read more >
- Law Reading List Cambridge Law and Oxford Law reading lists and recommended reading. Read more >
- February’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Statistics: 2015 Annual Survey Want to find out what your chances are of getting... Read more >
- Modern Languages and Linguistics Reading Lists Applying for languages? It’s always difficult to narrow down what... Read more >
- Communications expert top tips One of our communications specialists, has his own advice for... Read more >
- What’s so special about Oxford and Cambridge? Both Oxford and Cambridge have fearsome reputations. The Oxbridge system... Read more >
- Is a “Religious Morality” rational? One of our Oxbridge graduate tutors, Emma, looks into the... Read more >
- January’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- History Reading Lists The main challenge in the step up from school to... Read more >
- Personal Statement Action Plan: Section 2 of 2 You’ve done your reading. You’ve made your brainstorm. You’ve possibly... Read more >
- US University Applications: How Decisions Are Made Article contributed by: Dr Jon Tabbert, US university admissions educational... Read more >
- Course By Course Fact Sheet This helpful guide sets out by course what grades you... Read more >
- TSA Oxford mini mock & answers Thinking is very important to Oxford, so they’ve devised an... Read more >
- Bursaries Both Oxford and Cambridge are committed to the principle that... Read more >
- The OA School’s Magazine: Issue 1 Last year, Oxbridge Applications launched its first ever Schools’ Magazine,... Read more >
- Your Open Day Guide Open Days can be an extremely useful way of finding... Read more >
- Download a Physics Personal Statement “Over the past few years I have become gradually more... Read more >
- 30 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- Download a Biology Personal Statement “Assisting with the post mortem of a dairy cow during... Read more >
- LNAT ‘So you want to go to Oxbridge’ Answers If you have been reading our book ‘So you want... Read more >
- Download a Philosophy Personal Statement “Philosophy of the mind is my particular interest, especially the... Read more >
- HAT mini mock paper The History Aptitude Test or ‘HAT’ must be sat by... Read more >
- PPE: answer like a pro If you’re applying for Politics, Philosophy and Economics (PPE) or... Read more >