In the fantasy book world, one would expect that most fights would involve medieval weaponry or magic. Fantasy fiction writer, Terry Goodkind, however, has taken to the internet to express his grievances with the cover art to his new book, ‘Shroud of Eternity’.
Designed by the well-known illustrator, Bastien Lecouffe-Deharme (who has worked on artwork for notable authors such as Chuck Palahniuk, H.P. Lovecraft and Philip K. Dick), the jacket design was described by Goodkind as ‘laughably bad’ in a Facebook poll he created for the public.
Unfortunately, Goodkind’s criticism of his book cover has turned many of his loyal readers against him. Many of Goodkind’s former fans have announced that they will no longer be purchasing books from the author, with the artistic community showing their support of Lecouffe-Deharme.
Since posting his comment describing the novel as a ‘a great book with a very bad cover’, Goodkind has edited his remark to say ‘Not the artist’s fault, of course. The quality of the artwork is terrific. The characters are not represented well and that’s the responsibility of the publisher’. Lecouffe-Deharme has argued that his depictions of the characters closely resemble those shown on the dust jacket of the Goodkind’s last book in the series and that designers are paid to follow the instructions of the publisher and the author.
Students hoping to study English at Oxbridge may wish to examine the impact of a book’s cover on how characters are perceived by a reader. Those aspiring to read Art History and Fine Art could explore how successfully artists can render another person’s vision. The way in which human beings air disputes publicly might be an interesting topic for Experimental Psychology students to delve into.
- BMAT overview & tips If you’re applying for Medicine, Biomedical Sciences or Veterinary Medicine you... Read more >
- Mathematics Reading List Studying Mathematics at university requires a different approach to studying... Read more >
- Bursaries Both Oxford and Cambridge are committed to the principle that... Read more >
- International Application Calendar Keeping on top of the various deadlines and decisions when... Read more >
- Oxbridge Open Day Guide With open days drawing ever nearer, applicants and parents alike... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement Read our sample Medicine personal statement for application tips. Read more >
- The OA School’s Magazine: Issue 1 Last year, Oxbridge Applications launched its first ever Schools’ Magazine,... Read more >
- US University Applications: How Decisions Are Made Article contributed by: Dr Jon Tabbert, US university admissions educational... Read more >
- What’s so special about Oxford and Cambridge? Both Oxford and Cambridge have fearsome reputations. The Oxbridge system... Read more >
- Human Social and Political Science (HSPS) Reading List If you are applying for HSPS at Cambridge, it is... Read more >
- Pooling: Fast Facts You may have heard people talk about “pooling”, or maybe... Read more >
- TSA Oxford mini mock & answers Thinking is very important to Oxford, so they’ve devised an... Read more >
- Funding Your Oxbridge Degree Many people are under the impression that it is more... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test overview If you’re applying to read Law at Cambridge you will probably need... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement 2 “Beyond this essential interest in the subject, I find that... Read more >
- History Reading Lists The main challenge in the step up from school to... Read more >
- Science Puzzle: experimenting with mice… We asked our Medicine graduate Jennifer to tell us a... Read more >
- Statistics: 2015 Annual Survey Want to find out what your chances are of getting... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge Access Schemes Oxford and Cambridge aim to offer places to the best... Read more >
- Medical & Biological Sciences Reading Lists Medicine and the whole range of Biological Sciences are highly... Read more >
- Course By Course Fact Sheet This helpful guide sets out by course what grades you... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge mini mock & answers The Thinking Skills Assessment is required for a number of... Read more >
- 5 Easy Ways To Support Your Son Or Daughter Before Their Oxbridge Interviews The weeks before the Oxford and Cambridge interviews are a... Read more >
- Taking a Gap Year There are a number of advantages to taking a gap... Read more >