A recent study has stated that the commonly heard advice from dentists to floss may not be as good advice as we think.
The study investigated the long-term impacts of flossing over a decade, looking at 25 case studies. The study sought to understand whether flossing and brushing was a better combination than just brushing alone – and the conclusion was very much inconclusive.
“The majority of available studies fail to demonstrate that flossing is generally effective in plaque removal,” reads a section of the study. The original piece also argues that the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, without much fanfare, removed its imperative for Americans to floss between its 2010 and 2015 editions, with the latter making no mention of floss as a useful hygenic practice.
Despite this argument, many dentists would still recommend flossing as a way to prevent gum disease despite tenuously proven links between the two. Wayne Aldredge, president of a peridontists’ group, argues that not flossing is “like building a house and not painting two sides of it.” HSPS applicants should consider the changing role of medical practices in modernity, and how reporting of new medical studies can often be misleading in the media. Medicine applicants should consider the ways in which patients receive their medical advice, and how these communications mix inherited wisdom and new studies.
- The Most Competitive Subjects At Oxbridge (And How To Choose Wisely) Oxford and Cambridge are two of the best universities in the... Read more >
- Biological Sciences & Medicine: answer like a pro What kind of questions can you expect in an Oxford... Read more >
- July’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Medicine, Maths, and Economics Puzzles We asked three of our top Medicine, Maths, and... Read more >
- International Application Calendar Keeping on top of the various deadlines and decisions when... Read more >
- History Reading Lists The main challenge in the step up from school to... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement “I have a keen interest in current affairs but have... Read more >
- January’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- The Differences Between Similar Courses At Oxford and Cambridge For some applicants, deciding between applying to Oxford or Cambridge... Read more >
- Music Scholarships There is a wide range of musical scholarships available to... Read more >
- PAT overview If you’re applying for Physics, Materials or a relevant joint... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement 2 “Beyond this essential interest in the subject, I find that... Read more >
- LNAT mini mock paper & answers The LNAT, required for those applying for Law at Oxford... Read more >
- University Admissions Tests: How Would You Reply? Here we have a few questions and answers to sample... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test mini mock paper & answers If you are applying to do Law at Cambridge, chances... Read more >
- Mathematics Reading List Studying Mathematics at university requires a different approach to studying... Read more >
- US University Applications: How Decisions Are Made Article contributed by: Dr Jon Tabbert, US university admissions educational... Read more >
- Personal Statement Solution: Brainstorm Sheet Writing your personal statement may just be the grimmest part... Read more >
- What Results Do You Need In Your Exams? At the heart of every Oxbridge offer is an excellent... Read more >
- Experimental Psychology & Psychological and Behavioural Sciences (PBS) Reading List If you are interested in Psychology, Oxford offers the Psychology... Read more >
- Pooling: Fast Facts You may have heard people talk about “pooling”, or maybe... Read more >
- Is Oxbridge right for me? Have you asked yourself why you are planning to apply... Read more >
- Sports psychology for interviews Channel your inner champion Major sports personalities use these techniques... Read more >
- Oxbridge Open Day Guide With open days drawing ever nearer, applicants and parents alike... Read more >