A recent study has stated that the commonly heard advice from dentists to floss may not be as good advice as we think.
The study investigated the long-term impacts of flossing over a decade, looking at 25 case studies. The study sought to understand whether flossing and brushing was a better combination than just brushing alone – and the conclusion was very much inconclusive.
“The majority of available studies fail to demonstrate that flossing is generally effective in plaque removal,” reads a section of the study. The original piece also argues that the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, without much fanfare, removed its imperative for Americans to floss between its 2010 and 2015 editions, with the latter making no mention of floss as a useful hygenic practice.
Despite this argument, many dentists would still recommend flossing as a way to prevent gum disease despite tenuously proven links between the two. Wayne Aldredge, president of a peridontists’ group, argues that not flossing is “like building a house and not painting two sides of it.” HSPS applicants should consider the changing role of medical practices in modernity, and how reporting of new medical studies can often be misleading in the media. Medicine applicants should consider the ways in which patients receive their medical advice, and how these communications mix inherited wisdom and new studies.
- What Results Do You Need In Your Exams? At the heart of every Oxbridge offer is an excellent... Read more >
- April’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- The Most Competitive Subjects At Oxbridge (And How To Choose Wisely) Oxford and Cambridge are two of the best universities in the... Read more >
- Stats report: our annual survey Every year, we survey hundreds of applicants who applied the... Read more >
- TSA Oxford mini mock & answers Thinking is very important to Oxford, so they’ve devised an... Read more >
- Cambridge college snapshots Despite having a smaller number of colleges than Oxford, each of... Read more >
- July’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- English: answer like a pro We have a lot of questions year on year from... Read more >
- MAT mini mock paper & answers If you are planning to apply to Oxford to read... Read more >
- The OA School’s Magazine: Issue 1 Last year, Oxbridge Applications launched its first ever Schools’ Magazine,... Read more >
- Communications expert top tips One of our communications specialists, has his own advice for... Read more >
- What You Need To Know About A Level Reforms The A Level system that has been in place since... Read more >
- UKCAT mini mock paper & answers If you are applying for Medicine or Dentistry, many of... Read more >
- LNAT ‘So you want to go to Oxbridge’ Answers If you have been reading our book ‘So you want... Read more >
- US University Applications: How Decisions Are Made Article contributed by: Dr Jon Tabbert, US university admissions educational... Read more >
- Using stats: dos and don’ts When making an application, you must be careful about using... Read more >
- 30 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test mini mock paper & answers If you are applying to do Law at Cambridge, chances... Read more >
- International Applicant Handbook This incredible resource will guide you through every stage of... Read more >
- Maths & Hard Sciences: answer like a pro Maths, Physics, Chemistry – they’re brilliant because there is a right... Read more >
- Taking a Gap Year There are a number of advantages to taking a gap... Read more >
- Experimental Psychology & Psychological and Behavioural Sciences (PBS) Reading List If you are interested in Psychology, Oxford offers the Psychology... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: a game of chess We asked one of our top Maths Oxbridge tutors for... Read more >
- English Language and Literature Reading List If you're applying for English, have a look at our... Read more >