The grave of Dante Gabriel Rossetti’s famous muse, model, and mistress, Fanny Cornforth, has finally been discovered.
Her glamorous depiction may be belied by the new facts regarding how her life ended. Fanny was determined to have suffered from dementia and was penniless, confined to the Sussex county asylum. Upon her death at the age of 74, she was buried in a common grave in 1909. History of Art applicants should read further into how the muse influenced the Pre-Raphaelite movement, and how people depicted in art are so often disconnected from the reality of that person’s existence.
Art historian Kirsty Stonell Walker, the biographer of Fanny Cornforth, commented that “Fanny is the patron saint of overlooked women. She is in the background of so many stories about other people, and she seemed finally to have vanished without trace into the shadows.” The decadence and beauty of her life in art is starkly contrasted to quietness and tragedy of her death, and this juxtaposition in art should be considered by English applicants in works of fiction they have read, particularly in the modernist literary tradition.
Fine Art applicants should pay particular attention to Rossetti’s Venus Verticordia; while Fanny famously posed for this picture, one of Rossetti’s most risqué, she was replaced by the face of Alexa Wilding, one of Rossetti’s later mistresses.
While her life was blighted by Rossetti falling out of love, and his subsequent abandonment of her, Fanny won in her own way by opening a gallery displaying Rossetti’s art, which she had taken from his home. History students should consider who has the ownership of art; the creator or the subject.
- Mathematics Reading List Studying Mathematics at university requires a different approach to studying... Read more >
- PAT overview If you’re applying for Physics, Materials or a relevant joint... Read more >
- Funding Your Oxbridge Degree Many people are under the impression that it is more... Read more >
- Classics and Arch & Anth Reading Lists If you’re applying for Classics, or for Archaeology and Anthropology,... Read more >
- Law Reading List Cambridge Law and Oxford Law reading lists and recommended reading. Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test mini mock paper & answers Many Cambridge colleges require applicants for Modern Languages to sit... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement “I have a keen interest in current affairs but have... Read more >
- BMAT mini mock paper & answers With over 90% of applicants now preparing for the admissions... Read more >
- History of Art Reading List History of Art at Oxford and Cambridge allows you to... Read more >
- MAT overview If you’re applying for Maths or Computer Science at Oxford you will need... Read more >
- Music Scholarships There is a wide range of musical scholarships available to... Read more >
- MAT mini mock paper & answers If you are planning to apply to Oxford to read... Read more >
- Communications expert top tips One of our communications specialists, has his own advice for... Read more >
- Taking a Gap Year There are a number of advantages to taking a gap... Read more >
- June’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Economics & Logic Puzzle: ticket touts We asked top Economics blogger Resham Kotecha to challenge us... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: a game of chess We asked one of our top Maths Oxbridge tutors for... Read more >
- Download a History & English Personal Statement “Evidently reading is a major passion and Graham Greene has... Read more >
- Oxbridge Open Day Guide With open days drawing ever nearer, applicants and parents alike... Read more >
- Personal Statement Action Plan: Section 2 of 2 You’ve done your reading. You’ve made your brainstorm. You’ve possibly... Read more >
- LNAT mini mock paper & answers The LNAT, required for those applying for Law at Oxford... Read more >
- The Most Competitive Subjects At Oxbridge (And How To Choose Wisely) Oxford and Cambridge are two of the best universities in the... Read more >
- Science Puzzle: experimenting with mice… We asked our Medicine graduate Jennifer to tell us a... Read more >
- TSA overview A huge range of subjects at both Oxford and Cambridge... Read more >