The grave of Dante Gabriel Rossetti’s famous muse, model, and mistress, Fanny Cornforth, has finally been discovered.
Her glamorous depiction may be belied by the new facts regarding how her life ended. Fanny was determined to have suffered from dementia and was penniless, confined to the Sussex county asylum. Upon her death at the age of 74, she was buried in a common grave in 1909. History of Art applicants should read further into how the muse influenced the Pre-Raphaelite movement, and how people depicted in art are so often disconnected from the reality of that person’s existence.
Art historian Kirsty Stonell Walker, the biographer of Fanny Cornforth, commented that “Fanny is the patron saint of overlooked women. She is in the background of so many stories about other people, and she seemed finally to have vanished without trace into the shadows.” The decadence and beauty of her life in art is starkly contrasted to quietness and tragedy of her death, and this juxtaposition in art should be considered by English applicants in works of fiction they have read, particularly in the modernist literary tradition.
Fine Art applicants should pay particular attention to Rossetti’s Venus Verticordia; while Fanny famously posed for this picture, one of Rossetti’s most risqué, she was replaced by the face of Alexa Wilding, one of Rossetti’s later mistresses.
While her life was blighted by Rossetti falling out of love, and his subsequent abandonment of her, Fanny won in her own way by opening a gallery displaying Rossetti’s art, which she had taken from his home. History students should consider who has the ownership of art; the creator or the subject.
- MAT mini mock paper & answers If you are planning to apply to Oxford to read... Read more >
- Download a Law Personal Statement “Participating in a Citizenship Foundation Mock Trial Competition during Year... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge International Grade Requirements If you’re applying to Cambridge or Oxford but you’ve not... Read more >
- Oxford college snapshots With 35 colleges and Permanent Private Halls, choosing how to... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement 2 “Beyond this essential interest in the subject, I find that... Read more >
- Admissions Tests: our tips as featured in the Independent Last year, the Independent asked us to provide some simple... Read more >
- Course By Course Fact Sheet This helpful guide sets out by course what grades you... Read more >
- Social and Political Sciences Reading List We’ve brought together a wide-ranging bibliography to help those applying... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: The Age of Census A census-taker knocks on a door, and asks the woman... Read more >
- COPA & International Deadlines Most deadlines are the same for all those applying to... Read more >
- Download a History & English Personal Statement “Evidently reading is a major passion and Graham Greene has... Read more >
- Information on choosing a course at Oxford or Cambridge “Perhaps it is because Oxbridge encourages more ‘traditional’ A Level... Read more >
- TSA Oxford mini mock & answers Thinking is very important to Oxford, so they’ve devised an... Read more >
- Are my grades good enough for Oxbridge? Grades are an area of much misunderstanding when it comes... Read more >
- Personal Statement Workbook Download A personal statement is a unique document which is all... Read more >
- Pooling: Fast Facts You may have heard people talk about “pooling”, or maybe... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement “I have a keen interest in current affairs but have... Read more >
- Communications expert top tips One of our communications specialists, has his own advice for... Read more >
- The OA School’s Magazine: Issue 1 Last year, Oxbridge Applications launched its first ever Schools’ Magazine,... Read more >
- ELAT overview If you’re applying for English, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- PAT overview If you’re applying for Physics, Materials or a relevant joint... Read more >
- 30 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- Cambridge’s Supplementary Application Questionnaire After you have submitted your UCAS application to apply to... Read more >
- Personal Statement Action Plan: Section 2 of 2 You’ve done your reading. You’ve made your brainstorm. You’ve possibly... Read more >