Indiegogo, a popular crowdfunding platform, has come under criticism for carrying a campaign to raise money for the Heartland Institute, a thinktank that denies a link between human activity and climate change. The organisation hopes to host a conference in Paris in December to rival a UN Summit happening at the same time.
The libertarian campaign will, according to Heartland’s vice president of external relations, ‘help us stop the UN and the Obama administration from raising your taxes, increasing your energy costs, and destroying jobs’. Contributors to the campaign include figures such as David Herro, a US hedge fund manager and prominent GOP donor, who has donated $10,000.
Indiegogo’s decision to carry the campaign raises interesting questions about the accountability of the relatively new platform-based business model, as well as the balance that businesses must strike between defence of free speech and morally defensible business practices. Indiegogo, who pride themselves on freedom of expression, have distanced themselves from the content of the campaign, which flies in the face of scientific consensus. Other high profile platforms, such as Uber, have done the same when pressed on the treatment of their employees.
Do Indiegogo have a responsibility to impede potentially damaging campaigns? Who even makes that decision? Politics students and Philosophers alike will no doubt have strong views, although they might focus on different aspects of the debate to Lawyers, however. Scientists and Geographers, who may be more acutely aware of the dangers posed by climate change, may also feel strongly on the matter.
- HAT mini mock paper The History Aptitude Test or ‘HAT’ must be sat by... Read more >
- Oxbridge: the global impact Concerning UK university admissions, UCAS have released some interesting stats.... Read more >
- UCAS: A How To Guide The process of applying to university through UCAS can seem... Read more >
- Using stats: dos and don’ts When making an application, you must be careful about using... Read more >
- Science Puzzle: experimenting with mice… We asked our Medicine graduate Jennifer to tell us a... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test mini mock paper & answers If you are applying to do Law at Cambridge, chances... Read more >
- Information on choosing a course at Oxford or Cambridge “Perhaps it is because Oxbridge encourages more ‘traditional’ A Level... Read more >
- Taking a Gap Year There are a number of advantages to taking a gap... Read more >
- Geography and Earth Sciences Reading Lists Whether you’re looking at Geography, Earth Sciences (Geology), or Land... Read more >
- Personal Statement Solution: Brainstorm Sheet Writing your personal statement may just be the grimmest part... Read more >
- July’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Law: answer like a pro Law is a notoriously competitive subject; this, along with the... Read more >
- What makes a good interview? The notion of an academic interview with prominent Oxbridge academics is a major... Read more >
- Choosing The Right A-Levels Picking subjects at A level can be a difficult decision... Read more >
- How is the BMAT marked? The BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) is marked significantly differently from... Read more >
- Experimental Psychology & Psychological and Behavioural Sciences (PBS) Reading List If you are interested in Psychology, Oxford offers the Psychology... Read more >
- Statistics: 2015 Annual Survey Want to find out what your chances are of getting... Read more >
- History of Art Reading List History of Art at Oxford and Cambridge allows you to... Read more >
- Modern Languages and Linguistics Reading Lists Applying for languages? It’s always difficult to narrow down what... Read more >
- Oxford college snapshots With 35 colleges and Permanent Private Halls, choosing how to... Read more >
- English Language and Literature Reading List If you're applying for English, have a look at our... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test overview If you’re applying for Modern and Medieval Languages at Cambridge,... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement 2 “Beyond this essential interest in the subject, I find that... Read more >
- Medical & Biological Sciences Reading Lists Medicine and the whole range of Biological Sciences are highly... Read more >