The BBC has reported that the NHS is at a crisis, with hospitals running out of beds and patients being left on trolleys for hours.
Chris Hopson, of NHS Providers, said hospitals were unsafe and over-crowded.
This raises questions of funding and longer term plans to help the NHS in a time of crisis.
Politicians have rebuked these concerns by claiming that there are concrete plans in place to ensure that the health service will rectify any issues that are currently present and can cope in the future.
However, mounting evidence highlighting severe problems has put pressure on both politicians and NHS officials to provide more clarity on the current status of the NHS and initiatives to combat such problems. Last year, the NHS missed several targets for A&E, cancer and planned operations across the UK. There is evidence to suggest that illnesses like the flu are rising, meaning that the lack of hospital beds will become more of a growing issue in the upcoming future.
Since 2010 the budget has been rising at about 1% a year on average, whereas traditionally the NHS got over 4%. Students wanting to study Economics should look into the causes and consequences of this percentage decrease.
Students that want to study Medicine should think about how important public opinion is to the effective running of the NHS. Furthermore, students may want to think about the growing obstacles facing doctors in a professional capacity and how this could affect the incentive to study to become a doctor.
Students that want to study HSPS should look into how the media’s representation of public bodies can infiltrate public opinion, and in extension affect voter choice. They should also start to assess how effectively these concerns are being dealt with by politicians.
- Law Reading List Cambridge Law and Oxford Law reading lists and recommended reading. Read more >
- HAT overview If you’re applying for History, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- University Admissions Tests: How Would You Reply? Here we have a few questions and answers to sample... Read more >
- Oxford or Cambridge? Many applicants know that they want the best, but when... Read more >
- Funding Your Oxbridge Degree Many people are under the impression that it is more... Read more >
- Oxford college snapshots With 35 colleges and Permanent Private Halls, choosing how to... Read more >
- Music Reading List Applying for Music at Cambridge or Oxford requires a range... Read more >
- ELAT overview If you’re applying for English, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- Personal Statement Workbook Download A personal statement is a unique document which is all... Read more >
- Cambridge’s Supplementary Application Questionnaire After you have submitted your UCAS application to apply to... Read more >
- What’s so special about Oxford and Cambridge? Both Oxford and Cambridge have fearsome reputations. The Oxbridge system... Read more >
- International Applicant Handbook This incredible resource will guide you through every stage of... Read more >
- Are my grades good enough for Oxbridge? Grades are an area of much misunderstanding when it comes... Read more >
- Download a Law Personal Statement “Participating in a Citizenship Foundation Mock Trial Competition during Year... Read more >
- Science Puzzle: experimenting with mice… We asked our Medicine graduate Jennifer to tell us a... Read more >
- Taking a Gap Year There are a number of advantages to taking a gap... Read more >
- The Architecture of an Education: what are colleges all about? Explaining the difference between Oxford and Cambridge colleges and the... Read more >
- Human Social and Political Science (HSPS) Reading List If you are applying for HSPS at Cambridge, it is... Read more >
- MLAT overview If you’re applying for Modern Languages, or their joint schools, you... Read more >
- Download a History & English Personal Statement “Evidently reading is a major passion and Graham Greene has... Read more >
- Medicine, Maths, and Economics Puzzles We asked three of our top Medicine, Maths, and... Read more >
- English Language and Literature Reading List If you're applying for English, have a look at our... Read more >
- BMAT mini mock paper & answers With over 90% of applicants now preparing for the admissions... Read more >
- English: answer like a pro We have a lot of questions year on year from... Read more >