The streets of Mumbai have been filled by blue dogs after a local river was filled by industrial dye by a manufacturing plant in the Taloja Industrial area of the city. So far, over ten cobalt canines have been spotted this month, with residents of the area reporting the sightings and the waste-filled river to the Maharashtra Pollution Control Board (MPCB). The shocked local population have also been capturing the pigmented pooches on camera and sharing the unusual videos and photos on social media.
A member of the Navi Mumbai Animal Protection Cell, who had witnesses the blue dogs, commented, ‘It was shocking to see how the dog’s white fur had turned completely blue. We have spotted almost five such dogs here and have asked the pollution control board to act against such industries.’ Dogs are not the only animals that appear to have been affected by the leaked dyes and other waste, as reports also confirm damage to other mammals, birds and reptiles. An animal welfare agency has reported that blood reports from the blue dogs show that they have been unharmed in other ways by their experience and that, on examination, the dye can be removed.
The manufacturing company deemed responsible has been shut down by the pollution control board, as positive links between air and water pollution have been made with the plant. A regional officer MPCB New Mumbai announced that ‘none of the directions under the ‘Control of Water and Air Pollution Acts’ of 1974 and 1981 were being followed’. The affected Kasadi River, however, flows through an area populated with hundreds of factories that may have contributed to the problem.
Natural Sciences, Geography, Law and Land Economy students should examine the environmental harm caused by the polluted river (to both animal, plant and human life) and the legal case against the company concerned.
- Physical, Mathematical & Chemical Sciences Reading Lists If you’re applying for Physics, Natural Sciences (P), Maths, Computer... Read more >
- Cambridge college snapshots Despite having a smaller number of colleges than Oxford, each of... Read more >
- Economics & Logic Puzzle: ticket touts We asked top Economics blogger Resham Kotecha to challenge us... Read more >
- HAT overview If you’re applying for History, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- Download a Philosophy Personal Statement “Philosophy of the mind is my particular interest, especially the... Read more >
- January’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- 20 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- Funding Your Oxbridge Degree Many people are under the impression that it is more... Read more >
- Medical & Biological Sciences Reading Lists Medicine and the whole range of Biological Sciences are highly... Read more >
- Application Calendar Making an application to Oxford or Cambridge can seem like... Read more >
- Download a Law Personal Statement “Participating in a Citizenship Foundation Mock Trial Competition during Year... Read more >
- PAT overview If you’re applying for Physics, Materials or a relevant joint... Read more >
- ELAT mini mock paper If you’re applying to read English at Oxford, you will... Read more >
- Oxford or Cambridge? Many applicants know that they want the best, but when... Read more >
- Law Reading List Cambridge Law and Oxford Law reading lists and recommended reading. Read more >
- COPA & International Deadlines Most deadlines are the same for all those applying to... Read more >
- Your free E-book… “So You Want To Go To Oxbridge? Tell me about a banana…” If you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge, there are... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge International Grade Requirements If you’re applying to Cambridge or Oxford but you’ve not... Read more >
- What’s the Most Important Part of Your Application? An application to Oxford or Cambridge involves various different elements,... Read more >
- Personal Statement Action Plan: Section 2 of 2 You’ve done your reading. You’ve made your brainstorm. You’ve possibly... Read more >
- MAT overview If you’re applying for Maths or Computer Science at Oxford you will need... Read more >
- Science Puzzle: experimenting with mice… We asked our Medicine graduate Jennifer to tell us a... Read more >
- University Admissions Tests: How Would You Reply? Here we have a few questions and answers to sample... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge Example Questions and Answers If you have completed the TSA Cambridge course report and are... Read more >