British telecoms experts have warned that WiFi might be down over Christmas, for a very specific reason – Christmas itself.
Ofcom have warned that the electrical interference from Christmas lights could be slowing down Wi-Fi due to surges in electrical usage. Electronic devices in general, such as microwave ovens and lamps, can impact upon Wi-Fi signal, but Christmas lights are a particular barrier to Wi-Fi signal due to it being an electrical surge unaccounted for by the national electricity grid.
Engineers should consider how surges disrupt electricity generation and transmission networks. A further example of this is the ‘television pickup’ phenomenon in United Kingdom; this term denotes synchronised surges in national electricity consumption due to people simultaneously using electrical appliances, especially kettles. This occurs due to the commonality of a commercial break – the largest being on 4th July 1990 when the penalty shootout between England and West Germany in the FIFA World Cup Final ended.
Ofcom called a decent internet connection the fourth essential connection, alongside gas, electricity and water. Geography, PPE, and HSPS applicants should consider how Ofcom’s remarks shape the way we think about development.
- Download an Economics Personal Statement “I have a keen interest in current affairs but have... Read more >
- Economics & Logic Puzzle: ticket touts We asked top Economics blogger Resham Kotecha to challenge us... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge International Grade Requirements If you’re applying to Cambridge or Oxford but you’ve not... Read more >
- Personal Statement Solution: Brainstorm Sheet Writing your personal statement may just be the grimmest part... Read more >
- Mathematics Reading List Studying Mathematics at university requires a different approach to studying... Read more >
- Your free E-book… “So You Want To Go To Oxbridge? Tell me about a banana…” If you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge, there are... Read more >
- Choosing The Right A-Levels Picking subjects at A level can be a difficult decision... Read more >
- LNAT overview If you’re applying for Law at Oxford you will need to sit... Read more >
- Science Puzzle: experimenting with mice… We asked our Medicine graduate Jennifer to tell us a... Read more >
- For Your Reference: Admissions Test Factfiles The majority of Oxford courses, and an increasing number of... Read more >
- Application Calendar Making an application to Oxford or Cambridge can seem like... Read more >
- Interactive Interview Exercise Manual ‘What should I expect at my Oxbridge interview?’ ‘How will... Read more >
- What’s the Most Important Part of Your Application? An application to Oxford or Cambridge involves various different elements,... Read more >
- Information on choosing a course at Oxford or Cambridge “Perhaps it is because Oxbridge encourages more ‘traditional’ A Level... Read more >
- What makes a good interview? The notion of an academic interview with prominent Oxbridge academics is a major... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test overview If you’re applying to read Law at Cambridge you will probably need... Read more >
- Music Scholarships There is a wide range of musical scholarships available to... Read more >
- The Architecture of an Education: what are colleges all about? Explaining the difference between Oxford and Cambridge colleges and the... Read more >
- International Application Calendar Keeping on top of the various deadlines and decisions when... Read more >
- 20 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- Biological Sciences & Medicine: answer like a pro What kind of questions can you expect in an Oxford... Read more >
- The OA School’s Magazine: Issue 1 Last year, Oxbridge Applications launched its first ever Schools’ Magazine,... Read more >
- PAT overview If you’re applying for Physics, Materials or a relevant joint... Read more >
- University Admissions Tests: How Would You Reply? Here we have a few questions and answers to sample... Read more >