The Chinese province of Qinghai has tested whether it can run entirely on renewable energy for a week. With a population of 5.8 million, they hoped to see if the electricity grid could maintain itself without the use of fossil fuels.
Though small, this may be a significant step in understanding whether renewable energy can provide a full, viable alternative to the use of fossil fuels. Quan Shenming, the general manager of the Qinghai Electric Power Corporation, hopes that this pioneering week will be an important way to promote clean energy in China. If China were to switch to renewable energy, or even at least take steps to become more green, then this would not only cut carbon emissions significantly, but would use as a powerful signal to other countries who are perhaps more reluctant to change their sources of energy production.
During the trial, hydro-electric energy schemes accounted for more than 72 percent of electricity used in Qinghai, whilst being supplemented by solar and wind resources.
Local government and environment officials are hoping that the energy generated in the province will eventually be used to power areas in central and eastern China.
Geography students may want to think about which countries are more advanced than others in their environmental advances. Students taking science subjects, more specifically Chemistry, may want to look at the way in which we develop new advances, and the research that goes into the process. Politics students may want to think about Trump’s recent decision to opt out of the Paris Agreement, and how that will affect both the US’s and the worldwide stance on climate change.
- Is Oxbridge right for me? Have you asked yourself why you are planning to apply... Read more >
- Personal Statement Solution: Brainstorm Sheet Writing your personal statement may just be the grimmest part... Read more >
- PPE: answer like a pro If you’re applying for Politics, Philosophy and Economics (PPE) or... Read more >
- Outside reading: the key to a good application When it comes to writing your personal statement and preparing... Read more >
- For Your Reference: Admissions Test Factfiles The majority of Oxford courses, and an increasing number of... Read more >
- PAT overview If you’re applying for Physics, Materials or a relevant joint... Read more >
- LNAT ‘So you want to go to Oxbridge’ Answers If you have been reading our book ‘So you want... Read more >
- Classics and Arch & Anth Reading Lists If you’re applying for Classics, or for Archaeology and Anthropology,... Read more >
- Law Reading List Cambridge Law and Oxford Law reading lists and recommended reading. Read more >
- Stats report: our annual survey Every year, we survey hundreds of applicants who applied the... Read more >
- Sports psychology for interviews Channel your inner champion Major sports personalities use these techniques... Read more >
- ELAT mini mock paper If you’re applying to read English at Oxford, you will... Read more >
- LNAT mini mock paper & answers The LNAT, required for those applying for Law at Oxford... Read more >
- BMAT mini mock paper & answers With over 90% of applicants now preparing for the admissions... Read more >
- January’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Biological Sciences & Medicine: answer like a pro What kind of questions can you expect in an Oxford... Read more >
- What’s so special about Oxford and Cambridge? Both Oxford and Cambridge have fearsome reputations. The Oxbridge system... Read more >
- Download a History & English Personal Statement “Evidently reading is a major passion and Graham Greene has... Read more >
- June’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Personal Statement Action Plan: Section 2 of 2 You’ve done your reading. You’ve made your brainstorm. You’ve possibly... Read more >
- Pooling: Fast Facts You may have heard people talk about “pooling”, or maybe... Read more >
- English Language and Literature Reading List If you're applying for English, have a look at our... Read more >
- Admissions Tests: our tips as featured in the Independent Last year, the Independent asked us to provide some simple... Read more >
- 20 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >