Ever heard of CBT? You may not have done, but it’s a technique used by experts from all sorts of fields to help people prepare for stressful or demanding situations. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is used by gymnasts, pianists and everyone in between. Practitioners try to visualise and imagine every step and stage of a demanding situation, such as performing in a competition or playing a concert, in order to psychologically prepare themselves and enable them to perform at their best.
This article gives a really excellent summary of the key points of CBT and its use when preparing for an interview, and how you can apply it to suit you. You may be a pianist or a gymnast as well, but we’re guessing that if you’re reading this article in November, you’re probably thinking about interview preparation. To prepare for an interview, Steve Sheward, a cognitive behavioural therapist, recommends practising the ABC model. This model is Adversity, Beliefs, and Consequences.
Adversity is the challenge between you and your goal – for an Oxford or Cambridge interview, this is understanding what aspects of the interview are causing you the most concern and how you can tackle these concerns. Beliefs involves assessing your feelings about the situation and getting rid of unhelpful thinking styles. Is it the night before your interview and you’ve yet to read the entirety of the Iliad? Then it’s probably not worth worrying about trying to read it, but instead focusing on helpful thoughts like reviewing the materials you have read and relaxing. Consequences is how you feel and act, and recognising ensuring that your feelings do not interfere with your preparation or focus.
Interviews can be a tough, stressful environment, and its far better to go in there having done some focused preparation, rather than improvising on the day. We wish you the best in your interviews!
- Download a Biology Personal Statement “Assisting with the post mortem of a dairy cow during... Read more >
- Download a Law Personal Statement 2 “I have read The Origins of the Second World War... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test mini mock paper & answers If you are applying to do Law at Cambridge, chances... Read more >
- Music Reading List Applying for Music at Cambridge or Oxford requires a range... Read more >
- The Differences Between Similar Courses At Oxford and Cambridge For some applicants, deciding between applying to Oxford or Cambridge... Read more >
- Using stats: dos and don’ts When making an application, you must be careful about using... Read more >
- PPE: answer like a pro If you’re applying for Politics, Philosophy and Economics (PPE) or... Read more >
- Download a History & English Personal Statement “Evidently reading is a major passion and Graham Greene has... Read more >
- COPA & International Deadlines Most deadlines are the same for all those applying to... Read more >
- Personal Statement Solution: Brainstorm Sheet Writing your personal statement may just be the grimmest part... Read more >
- 20 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- HAT overview If you’re applying for History, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- English: answer like a pro We have a lot of questions year on year from... Read more >
- UCAS: A How To Guide The process of applying to university through UCAS can seem... Read more >
- Funding Your Oxbridge Degree Many people are under the impression that it is more... Read more >
- Modern Languages and Linguistics Reading Lists Applying for languages? It’s always difficult to narrow down what... Read more >
- Are my grades good enough for Oxbridge? Grades are an area of much misunderstanding when it comes... Read more >
- English Language and Literature Reading List If you're applying for English, have a look at our... Read more >
- ELAT overview If you’re applying for English, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- July’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- LNAT ‘So you want to go to Oxbridge’ Answers If you have been reading our book ‘So you want... Read more >
- Oxbridge Open Day Guide With open days drawing ever nearer, applicants and parents alike... Read more >
- MAT overview If you’re applying for Maths or Computer Science at Oxford you will need... Read more >
- TSA Oxford mini mock & answers Thinking is very important to Oxford, so they’ve devised an... Read more >