The recent sequence of events that have occurred in Catalonia are vital for students applying to Oxford and Cambridge to think about.
As an ongoing political event, it is relevant to think about the importance of these complicated developments through the prism of their subject choice.
After Catalonia has voted to leave Spain, there has been a reaction by the Spanish government to refuse this partition to happen. Spain’s chief prosecutor has called for charges including rebellion to be laid against Catalan leaders following the region’s declaration of independence. Students applying to study Law should consider the validity of these legal actions through considering previous cases and any precedence set. Under the Spanish legal system, the request will be considered by a judge. Furthermore, they should think about the social implications of what this will do on a more local level and the divisive nature it could have between the people that live in either region, whether successful or not.
We can currently see Spain looking to take direct control of Catalonia, including replacing the region’s civil servants with Spanish officials. Students hoping to study History should look into the long sequence of events that have built to become to cause of these current developments. They could also consider the patterns of these events in comparison to other important historical separatist movements, or even revolutionary campaigns.
Students applying for HSPS should look into the state of democracy in Spain and question whether the Catalonia vote to leave is democratic, and how representative the current system is allowing. What are the processes and implications of a section of a country leaving the mass? On a broader level, why do we still have physical borders at all – and what do they mean to the modern man and their identity?
- Oxford or Cambridge? Many applicants know that they want the best, but when... Read more >
- Download a Biology Personal Statement “Assisting with the post mortem of a dairy cow during... Read more >
- Using stats: dos and don’ts When making an application, you must be careful about using... Read more >
- COPA & International Deadlines Most deadlines are the same for all those applying to... Read more >
- January’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- English: answer like a pro We have a lot of questions year on year from... Read more >
- Human Social and Political Science (HSPS) Reading List If you are applying for HSPS at Cambridge, it is... Read more >
- 30 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- Interactive Interview Exercise Manual ‘What should I expect at my Oxbridge interview?’ ‘How will... Read more >
- Biological Sciences & Medicine: answer like a pro What kind of questions can you expect in an Oxford... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test overview If you’re applying to read Law at Cambridge you will probably need... Read more >
- Physical, Mathematical & Chemical Sciences Reading Lists If you’re applying for Physics, Natural Sciences (P), Maths, Computer... Read more >
- US University Applications: How Decisions Are Made Article contributed by: Dr Jon Tabbert, US university admissions educational... Read more >
- History Reading Lists The main challenge in the step up from school to... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement 2 “Beyond this essential interest in the subject, I find that... Read more >
- Medicine, Maths, and Economics Puzzles We asked three of our top Medicine, Maths, and... Read more >
- Your free E-book… “So You Want To Go To Oxbridge? Tell me about a banana…” If you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge, there are... Read more >
- BMAT mini mock paper & answers With over 90% of applicants now preparing for the admissions... Read more >
- Communications expert top tips One of our communications specialists, has his own advice for... Read more >
- Admissions Tests: our tips as featured in the Independent Last year, the Independent asked us to provide some simple... Read more >
- Course By Course Fact Sheet This helpful guide sets out by course what grades you... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: The Age of Census A census-taker knocks on a door, and asks the woman... Read more >
- Sports psychology for interviews Channel your inner champion Major sports personalities use these techniques... Read more >
- HAT overview If you’re applying for History, or its joint schools, you... Read more >