The recent sequence of events that have occurred in Catalonia are vital for students applying to Oxford and Cambridge to think about.
As an ongoing political event, it is relevant to think about the importance of these complicated developments through the prism of their subject choice.
After Catalonia has voted to leave Spain, there has been a reaction by the Spanish government to refuse this partition to happen. Spain’s chief prosecutor has called for charges including rebellion to be laid against Catalan leaders following the region’s declaration of independence. Students applying to study Law should consider the validity of these legal actions through considering previous cases and any precedence set. Under the Spanish legal system, the request will be considered by a judge. Furthermore, they should think about the social implications of what this will do on a more local level and the divisive nature it could have between the people that live in either region, whether successful or not.
We can currently see Spain looking to take direct control of Catalonia, including replacing the region’s civil servants with Spanish officials. Students hoping to study History should look into the long sequence of events that have built to become to cause of these current developments. They could also consider the patterns of these events in comparison to other important historical separatist movements, or even revolutionary campaigns.
Students applying for HSPS should look into the state of democracy in Spain and question whether the Catalonia vote to leave is democratic, and how representative the current system is allowing. What are the processes and implications of a section of a country leaving the mass? On a broader level, why do we still have physical borders at all – and what do they mean to the modern man and their identity?
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement 2 “Further work experience has highlighted some of the demands and challenges... Read more >
- Admissions Tests: our tips as featured in the Independent Last year, the Independent asked us to provide some simple... Read more >
- Personal statement: our tips in the Independent Here are 3 quick tips every hopeful should consider before... Read more >
- July’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Choosing The Right A-Levels Picking subjects at A level can be a difficult decision... Read more >
- Personal Statement Workbook Download A personal statement is a unique document which is all... Read more >
- Cambridge college snapshots Despite having a smaller number of colleges than Oxford, each of... Read more >
- Personal Statement Action Plan: Section 1 of 2 The UCAS personal statement will be a key part of... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: The Age of Census A census-taker knocks on a door, and asks the woman... Read more >
- Is Oxbridge right for me? Have you asked yourself why you are planning to apply... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test mini mock paper & answers Many Cambridge colleges require applicants for Modern Languages to sit... Read more >
- What Results Do You Need In Your Exams? At the heart of every Oxbridge offer is an excellent... Read more >
- Geography and Earth Sciences Reading Lists Whether you’re looking at Geography, Earth Sciences (Geology), or Land... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement Read our sample Medicine personal statement for application tips. Read more >
- For Your Reference: Admissions Test Factfiles The majority of Oxford courses, and an increasing number of... Read more >
- Are my grades good enough for Oxbridge? Grades are an area of much misunderstanding when it comes... Read more >
- Outside reading: the key to a good application When it comes to writing your personal statement and preparing... Read more >
- UKCAT mini mock paper & answers If you are applying for Medicine or Dentistry, many of... Read more >
- What’s the Most Important Part of Your Application? An application to Oxford or Cambridge involves various different elements,... Read more >
- Music Scholarships There is a wide range of musical scholarships available to... Read more >
- The OA School’s Magazine: Issue 1 Last year, Oxbridge Applications launched its first ever Schools’ Magazine,... Read more >
- Oxford college snapshots With 35 colleges and Permanent Private Halls, choosing how to... Read more >
- Download an English Personal Statement “My background as a student at a European School, including... Read more >
- The Most Competitive Subjects At Oxbridge (And How To Choose Wisely) Oxford and Cambridge are two of the best universities in the... Read more >