The recent sequence of events that have occurred in Catalonia are vital for students applying to Oxford and Cambridge to think about.
As an ongoing political event, it is relevant to think about the importance of these complicated developments through the prism of their subject choice.
After Catalonia has voted to leave Spain, there has been a reaction by the Spanish government to refuse this partition to happen. Spain’s chief prosecutor has called for charges including rebellion to be laid against Catalan leaders following the region’s declaration of independence. Students applying to study Law should consider the validity of these legal actions through considering previous cases and any precedence set. Under the Spanish legal system, the request will be considered by a judge. Furthermore, they should think about the social implications of what this will do on a more local level and the divisive nature it could have between the people that live in either region, whether successful or not.
We can currently see Spain looking to take direct control of Catalonia, including replacing the region’s civil servants with Spanish officials. Students hoping to study History should look into the long sequence of events that have built to become to cause of these current developments. They could also consider the patterns of these events in comparison to other important historical separatist movements, or even revolutionary campaigns.
Students applying for HSPS should look into the state of democracy in Spain and question whether the Catalonia vote to leave is democratic, and how representative the current system is allowing. What are the processes and implications of a section of a country leaving the mass? On a broader level, why do we still have physical borders at all – and what do they mean to the modern man and their identity?
- Human Social and Political Science (HSPS) Reading List If you are applying for HSPS at Cambridge, it is... Read more >
- The OA School’s Magazine: Issue 1 Last year, Oxbridge Applications launched its first ever Schools’ Magazine,... Read more >
- Modern Languages and Linguistics Reading Lists Applying for languages? It’s always difficult to narrow down what... Read more >
- Using stats: dos and don’ts When making an application, you must be careful about using... Read more >
- Download a Law Personal Statement “Participating in a Citizenship Foundation Mock Trial Competition during Year... Read more >
- HAT mini mock paper The History Aptitude Test or ‘HAT’ must be sat by... Read more >
- What Results Do You Need In Your Exams? At the heart of every Oxbridge offer is an excellent... Read more >
- Admissions Tests: our tips as featured in the Independent Last year, the Independent asked us to provide some simple... Read more >
- The Most Competitive Subjects At Oxbridge (And How To Choose Wisely) Oxford and Cambridge are two of the best universities in the... Read more >
- UCAS: A How To Guide The process of applying to university through UCAS can seem... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: The Age of Census A census-taker knocks on a door, and asks the woman... Read more >
- MLAT overview If you’re applying for Modern Languages, or their joint schools, you... Read more >
- LNAT overview If you’re applying for Law at Oxford you will need to sit... Read more >
- Oxford or Cambridge? Many applicants know that they want the best, but when... Read more >
- Download a Philosophy Personal Statement “Philosophy of the mind is my particular interest, especially the... Read more >
- MAT overview If you’re applying for Maths or Computer Science at Oxford you will need... Read more >
- COPA & International Deadlines Most deadlines are the same for all those applying to... Read more >
- Your free E-book… “So You Want To Go To Oxbridge? Tell me about a banana…” If you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge, there are... Read more >
- Science Puzzle: experimenting with mice… We asked our Medicine graduate Jennifer to tell us a... Read more >
- Maths & Hard Sciences: answer like a pro Maths, Physics, Chemistry – they’re brilliant because there is a right... Read more >
- LNAT mini mock paper & answers The LNAT, required for those applying for Law at Oxford... Read more >
- Music Reading List Applying for Music at Cambridge or Oxford requires a range... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement 2 “Beyond this essential interest in the subject, I find that... Read more >
- 5 Easy Ways To Support Your Son Or Daughter Before Their Oxbridge Interviews The weeks before the Oxford and Cambridge interviews are a... Read more >