A new study is one of the first to show how the human brain works when showcasing ‘creativity’, bringing us closer to understanding the wiring that makes creative people stand out from the crowd.
Roger Beaty and his team set up experiments with test subjects, where the subjects were made to list all and any possible uses of basic household items (eg. a brick) while their brains were monitored with an MRI machine. The data was fascinating, in that it showed that multiple parts of the brain, which would not normally work together, were lighting up and having neurons fire at the same time. This is interesting because it invalidates the idea that there is such a thing as ‘left-brain’ or ‘right-brain’ thinking.
The study found that those who were perceived to be more creative (by coming up with a wider and more articulate range of answers) had more parts of their brain trigger than more normal study subjects. They were able to use more unusual combinations of parts of their brain, and the next question that Beaty and his team must ask themselves is whether this kind of thing can be trained.
Students thinking about applying for Experimental Psychology or PBS should certainly look at other experiments that have been undertaken on the human brain, and what they have shown. It is also important to understand what constitutes a well made experiment.
- What Results Do You Need In Your Exams? At the heart of every Oxbridge offer is an excellent... Read more >
- Music Scholarships There is a wide range of musical scholarships available to... Read more >
- HAT overview If you’re applying for History, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- Your free E-book… “So You Want To Go To Oxbridge? Tell me about a banana…” If you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge, there are... Read more >
- Sports psychology for interviews Channel your inner champion Major sports personalities use these techniques... Read more >
- Physical, Mathematical & Chemical Sciences Reading Lists If you’re applying for Physics, Natural Sciences (P), Maths, Computer... Read more >
- What makes a good interview? The notion of an academic interview with prominent Oxbridge academics is a major... Read more >
- English: answer like a pro We have a lot of questions year on year from... Read more >
- Download a Law Personal Statement “Participating in a Citizenship Foundation Mock Trial Competition during Year... Read more >
- For Your Reference: Admissions Test Factfiles The majority of Oxford courses, and an increasing number of... Read more >
- Personal Statement Solution: Brainstorm Sheet Writing your personal statement may just be the grimmest part... Read more >
- Choosing The Right A-Levels Picking subjects at A level can be a difficult decision... Read more >
- Download a Law Personal Statement 2 “I have read The Origins of the Second World War... Read more >
- Law Reading List Cambridge Law and Oxford Law reading lists and recommended reading. Read more >
- Outside reading: the key to a good application When it comes to writing your personal statement and preparing... Read more >
- Information on choosing a course at Oxford or Cambridge “Perhaps it is because Oxbridge encourages more ‘traditional’ A Level... Read more >
- The OA School’s Magazine: Issue 1 Last year, Oxbridge Applications launched its first ever Schools’ Magazine,... Read more >
- Law: answer like a pro Law is a notoriously competitive subject; this, along with the... Read more >
- Personal statement: our tips in the Independent Here are 3 quick tips every hopeful should consider before... Read more >
- Choosing a course From Arch and Anth to Veterinary Medicine, the range of... Read more >
- Personal Statement Action Plan: Section 1 of 2 The UCAS personal statement will be a key part of... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement “I have a keen interest in current affairs but have... Read more >
- Oxbridge Open Day Guide With open days drawing ever nearer, applicants and parents alike... Read more >
- Admissions Tests: our tips as featured in the Independent Last year, the Independent asked us to provide some simple... Read more >