Earlier this week, a group of Year 9 schoolboys marched to school in girl’s school skirts.
As the recent heatwave hit a school in Rottingdean, near Brighton, the school boys were punished for wearing shorts in lessons. In protest, 4 boys grouped together to parade the school skirts the girls can wear. This activism was supported by the boys’ parents, but condemned by the school.
In contrast, 2006 opened many debates in the UK around ‘gender neutral’ uniform policies to fight discrimination against LGBT+ pupils. These policies were introduced by eighty state institutions, including 40 primary schools, who either removed reference to ‘girls’ and ‘boys’ in their school dress codes, or rewrote their uniform policy to including female students allowed to wear trousers and school boys to wear skirts. Meanwhile, cross-culturally, Puerto Rico’s department of education in 2015 signed a new regulation allowing student to wear either trousers or skirts, according to their gender identity, as opposed to the gender they were assigned at birth.
HSPS and PBS student should discuss the identity implications of school uniform on the lives of LGBT+ students, specifically during their developmental years. Geography students should research the cross-cultural different perspectives of school uniforms. History students can trace the colonial background to school uniform around the world.
- Medical & Biological Sciences Reading Lists Medicine and the whole range of Biological Sciences are highly... Read more >
- March’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Are my grades good enough for Oxbridge? Grades are an area of much misunderstanding when it comes... Read more >
- Application Calendar Making an application to Oxford or Cambridge can seem like... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: a game of chess We asked one of our top Maths Oxbridge tutors for... Read more >
- Download a Physics Personal Statement “Over the past few years I have become gradually more... Read more >
- The Architecture of an Education: what are colleges all about? Explaining the difference between Oxford and Cambridge colleges and the... Read more >
- Personal statement: our tips in the Independent Here are 3 quick tips every hopeful should consider before... Read more >
- 20 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- Experimental Psychology & Psychological and Behavioural Sciences (PBS) Reading List If you are interested in Psychology, Oxford offers the Psychology... Read more >
- Oxbridge Open Day Guide With open days drawing ever nearer, applicants and parents alike... Read more >
- MAT overview If you’re applying for Maths or Computer Science at Oxford you will need... Read more >
- 30 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- 5 Easy Ways To Support Your Son Or Daughter Before Their Oxbridge Interviews The weeks before the Oxford and Cambridge interviews are a... Read more >
- Download a Law Personal Statement “Participating in a Citizenship Foundation Mock Trial Competition during Year... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge Example Questions and Answers If you have completed the TSA Cambridge course report and are... Read more >
- The Great Collection of Past Oxbridge Interview Questions The great thing about an Oxbridge interview is that it... Read more >
- Science Puzzle: experimenting with mice… We asked our Medicine graduate Jennifer to tell us a... Read more >
- February’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Personal Statement Action Plan: Section 2 of 2 You’ve done your reading. You’ve made your brainstorm. You’ve possibly... Read more >
- PAT overview If you’re applying for Physics, Materials or a relevant joint... Read more >
- Classics and Arch & Anth Reading Lists If you’re applying for Classics, or for Archaeology and Anthropology,... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge Access Schemes Oxford and Cambridge aim to offer places to the best... Read more >
- Admissions Tests: our tips as featured in the Independent Last year, the Independent asked us to provide some simple... Read more >