Russia has recently begun a scheme to hire grandmothers for free to support families and pensioners across the Vladimir region near Moscow. Russian channel NTV has reported that pensioners are finding families to support for a few hours a week with child support and other traditionally family based tasks.
The scheme has proved popular so far, Human Science and HSPS applicants might wish to consider the implications of the family and genetics. Archaeology and Anthropology applicants could consider how the idea of family has evolved through time, and what role grandparents have to play in societies across the world.
This is not the first time Grandmothers have been available for hire, with a woman in Canada recently offering her services on the site Craigslist. The desire for a specific kind of nurture for a price may be of interest to PPE or Economics applicants who are thinking of ways to support an economy or country’s social policy outside of simple NHS or government offered care.
Russia is not new to the idea of family members for rent either, with Moscow being a popular place to hire a husband for an hour, to perform traditional husband roles in the household. Perhaps the future of the family could move to being increasingly fluid in the future, prospective Psychology students may wish to think about the effect of non genetic family members on development.
- Interactive Interview Exercise Manual ‘What should I expect at my Oxbridge interview?’ ‘How will... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement Read our sample Medicine personal statement for application tips. Read more >
- What makes a good interview? The notion of an academic interview with prominent Oxbridge academics is a major... Read more >
- ELAT overview If you’re applying for English, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- COPA & International Deadlines Most deadlines are the same for all those applying to... Read more >
- 30 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: The Age of Census A census-taker knocks on a door, and asks the woman... Read more >
- February’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Download an English Personal Statement “My background as a student at a European School, including... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test overview If you’re applying to read Law at Cambridge you will probably need... Read more >
- For Your Reference: Admissions Test Factfiles The majority of Oxford courses, and an increasing number of... Read more >
- Are my grades good enough for Oxbridge? Grades are an area of much misunderstanding when it comes... Read more >
- Communications expert top tips One of our communications specialists, has his own advice for... Read more >
- Admissions Tests: our tips as featured in the Independent Last year, the Independent asked us to provide some simple... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge Access Schemes Oxford and Cambridge aim to offer places to the best... Read more >
- BMAT overview & tips If you’re applying for Medicine, Biomedical Sciences or Veterinary Medicine you... Read more >
- Classics and Arch & Anth Reading Lists If you’re applying for Classics, or for Archaeology and Anthropology,... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement 2 “Further work experience has highlighted some of the demands and challenges... Read more >
- Information on choosing a course at Oxford or Cambridge “Perhaps it is because Oxbridge encourages more ‘traditional’ A Level... Read more >
- English Language and Literature Reading List If you're applying for English, have a look at our... Read more >
- Science Puzzle: experimenting with mice… We asked our Medicine graduate Jennifer to tell us a... Read more >
- Personal Statement Action Plan: Section 1 of 2 The UCAS personal statement will be a key part of... Read more >
- Using stats: dos and don’ts When making an application, you must be careful about using... Read more >
- Choosing a course From Arch and Anth to Veterinary Medicine, the range of... Read more >