With the recent release of the sequel to Blade Runner, starring Harrison Ford and Ryan Gosling, the debate around the relationship between computers and humans has become a centre point of the later stages of the technological revolution.
Scientists and non-scientists alike for a long time focused on computers useful ability to shift through large amounts of data in a short time.
However, recent research fields have not only reached that wall, but have moved past it – prompting questions about artificial intelligence’s capacity to learn more ‘human tasks.’
An article on the BBC News website, by a professor at Dundee University poses: ‘But what if AI were able to handle the most human of tasks – navigating the minefield of subtle nuance, rhetoric and even emotions to take us on in an argument?’
In particular the article focuses on how robots could form an argument. This is a field known as argument technology.
Students looking to read computer science may want to look more closely at how the development of robots has passed through each step of development, and reached this point.
The most recent advances have been based within the increase of the amount of data available to train computers in the art of debate. This means in the future, we may be able to train A.I. to give persuasive arguments, and the a new generation of lawyers!
Students hoping to study linguistics, philosophy or computer science may similarly look into how the human form of argument is relatable to the human invention of computers.
Students who are looking to study the field of law may want to look into how the law will react to regulate this kind of sociological and technological revolution, if it is able to actualise.
- Personal Statement Workbook Download A personal statement is a unique document which is all... Read more >
- Oxford or Cambridge? Many applicants know that they want the best, but when... Read more >
- Choosing The Right A-Levels Picking subjects at A level can be a difficult decision... Read more >
- June’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge Access Schemes Oxford and Cambridge aim to offer places to the best... Read more >
- Personal statement: our tips in the Independent Here are 3 quick tips every hopeful should consider before... Read more >
- July’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Personal Statement Action Plan: Section 1 of 2 The UCAS personal statement will be a key part of... Read more >
- March’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Information on choosing a course at Oxford or Cambridge “Perhaps it is because Oxbridge encourages more ‘traditional’ A Level... Read more >
- Your free E-book… “So You Want To Go To Oxbridge? Tell me about a banana…” If you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge, there are... Read more >
- Access and Financial Support at Oxbridge As two of the world’s top universities, both Oxford and... Read more >
- MAT overview If you’re applying for Maths or Computer Science at Oxford you will need... Read more >
- LNAT mini mock paper & answers The LNAT, required for those applying for Law at Oxford... Read more >
- Taking a Gap Year There are a number of advantages to taking a gap... Read more >
- Using stats: dos and don’ts When making an application, you must be careful about using... Read more >
- BMAT mini mock paper & answers With over 90% of applicants now preparing for the admissions... Read more >
- Is a “Religious Morality” rational? One of our Oxbridge graduate tutors, Emma, looks into the... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement Read our sample Medicine personal statement for application tips. Read more >
- Science Puzzle: experimenting with mice… We asked our Medicine graduate Jennifer to tell us a... Read more >
- TSA Oxford mini mock & answers Thinking is very important to Oxford, so they’ve devised an... Read more >
- Cambridge college snapshots Despite having a smaller number of colleges than Oxford, each of... Read more >
- Music Scholarships There is a wide range of musical scholarships available to... Read more >
- Philosophy Reading List If you are interested in Philosophy, there are several options... Read more >