An unexploded bomb, originating from the Nazi blitz over London during the Second World War, was discovered by builders in Bermondsey yesterday.
The bomb was discovered by workers laying the foundations for a new building in The Grange, Bermondsey on the morning of Monday 23rd March, and is reported to weigh 1,000lbs and be 5ft in length. As soon as the bomb was discovered, the Metropolitan Police’s bomb squad put in place a 400 metre exclusion zone around the sigh, bringing numerous road closures. Two schools had to closed early and hundreds of people were evacuated from apartment blocks.
Traffics was severely affected for much of the morning both north and south of the Thames following the closure of Tower Bridge. There were reports of queues for buses stretching several miles. Applicants for History and for Human, Social, and Political Sciences might wish to consider that, 70 years after the event, the Second World War is still affecting our lives today. In what other ways is the British experience in towns and cities still shaped by the Blitz?
Bermondsey was one of Central London’s worst affected areas during the Blitz. At least 709 civilians are known to have been killed in the Nazi bombing campaign. The area is thought to have been targeted on account of its heavy industry and the close proximity of the London docks. Economics applicants might be interested in the economic consequences if there are more unexploded bombs discovered beneath the streets of London. How would such discoveries affect house prices and insurance premiums?
Applicants for Archaeology and Anthropology and for Architecture want to pick up on the archaeological importance of discovering such an artefact. What is the best way to locate any other dormant munitions underground?
- PPE: answer like a pro If you’re applying for Politics, Philosophy and Economics (PPE) or... Read more >
- What’s the Most Important Part of Your Application? An application to Oxford or Cambridge involves various different elements,... Read more >
- Bursaries Both Oxford and Cambridge are committed to the principle that... Read more >
- Download a History & English Personal Statement “Evidently reading is a major passion and Graham Greene has... Read more >
- College selection checklist Your college at Oxford or Cambridge is where you will... Read more >
- What Results Do You Need In Your Exams? At the heart of every Oxbridge offer is an excellent... Read more >
- June’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Taking a Gap Year There are a number of advantages to taking a gap... Read more >
- LNAT overview If you’re applying for Law at Oxford you will need to sit... Read more >
- Choosing The Right A-Levels Picking subjects at A level can be a difficult decision... Read more >
- Philosophy Reading List If you are interested in Philosophy, there are several options... Read more >
- Economics & Logic Puzzle: ticket touts We asked top Economics blogger Resham Kotecha to challenge us... Read more >
- 5 Easy Ways To Support Your Son Or Daughter Before Their Oxbridge Interviews The weeks before the Oxford and Cambridge interviews are a... Read more >
- Your free E-book… “So You Want To Go To Oxbridge? Tell me about a banana…” If you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge, there are... Read more >
- Classics and Arch & Anth Reading Lists If you’re applying for Classics, or for Archaeology and Anthropology,... Read more >
- The Great Collection of Past Oxbridge Interview Questions The great thing about an Oxbridge interview is that it... Read more >
- English: answer like a pro We have a lot of questions year on year from... Read more >
- English Language and Literature Reading List If you're applying for English, have a look at our... Read more >
- Admissions Tests: our tips as featured in the Independent Last year, the Independent asked us to provide some simple... Read more >
- The Most Competitive Subjects At Oxbridge (And How To Choose Wisely) Oxford and Cambridge are two of the best universities in the... Read more >
- UCAT mini mock paper & answers If you are applying for Medicine or Dentistry, many of... Read more >
- 20 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- Download an English Personal Statement “My background as a student at a European School, including... Read more >
- Course By Course Fact Sheet This helpful guide sets out by course what grades you... Read more >