Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield (of Ben & Jerry’s fame) have been arrested – something which the owners are proud of.
While Ben & Jerry have less impact on their company since it was sold to Unilever 16 years ago, the Politics of the founders is still foundational to much of their marketing. Recent flavour campaigns include ‘Save Our Swirled’ for climate change and ‘I Dough, I Dough’ in support of equal marriage in the US, reflecting the founders’ liberal political views.
Just two days ago, the founders were in a political protest outside the US capitol with 300 other protestors. They were campaigning with Democracy Awakening, pushing for a vote to allow President Obama’s nomination for Supreme Court to be pushed through. PPE applicants should consider the success or detraction which protests have caused in US history, particularly in relation to motivating congress or pushing through Law.
Ben & Jerry did not appear distressed by their arrest, with Ben quoted as saying “the history of our country is that nothing happens until people start putting their bodies on the line and risk getting arrested”. HSPS applicants might be interested in Ben’s limited edition run of Bernie’s Yearning; an ice cream in support of presidential candidate Bernie Sanders which was a mint ice cream topped with a large circular disk meant to represent the 1% consisting of the wealthiest members of society. The message Ben was presenting? That to get to the ice cream, the 1% disc had to be broken up and spread among the 99% of ice cream.
- Access and Financial Support at Oxbridge As two of the world’s top universities, both Oxford and... Read more >
- ELAT overview If you’re applying for English, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- TSA Oxford mini mock & answers Thinking is very important to Oxford, so they’ve devised an... Read more >
- Geography and Earth Sciences Reading Lists Whether you’re looking at Geography, Earth Sciences (Geology), or Land... Read more >
- BMAT overview & tips If you’re applying for Medicine, Biomedical Sciences or Veterinary Medicine you... Read more >
- March’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Personal Statement Action Plan: Section 2 of 2 You’ve done your reading. You’ve made your brainstorm. You’ve possibly... Read more >
- Mathematics Reading List Studying Mathematics at university requires a different approach to studying... Read more >
- History of Art Reading List History of Art at Oxford and Cambridge allows you to... Read more >
- What You Need To Know About A Level Reforms The A Level system that has been in place since... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement 2 “Further work experience has highlighted some of the demands and challenges... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test mini mock paper & answers If you are applying to do Law at Cambridge, chances... Read more >
- Oxford or Cambridge? Many applicants know that they want the best, but when... Read more >
- June’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Medicine, Maths, and Economics Puzzles We asked three of our top Medicine, Maths, and... Read more >
- Personal Statement Workbook Download A personal statement is a unique document which is all... Read more >
- LNAT mini mock paper & answers The LNAT, required for those applying for Law at Oxford... Read more >
- COPA & International Deadlines Most deadlines are the same for all those applying to... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge Example Questions and Answers If you have completed the TSA Cambridge course report and are... Read more >
- International Applicant Handbook This incredible resource will guide you through every stage of... Read more >
- July’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement Read our sample Medicine personal statement for application tips. Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test overview If you’re applying to read Law at Cambridge you will probably need... Read more >
- Download a Philosophy Personal Statement “Philosophy of the mind is my particular interest, especially the... Read more >