Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield (of Ben & Jerry’s fame) have been arrested – something which the owners are proud of.
While Ben & Jerry have less impact on their company since it was sold to Unilever 16 years ago, the Politics of the founders is still foundational to much of their marketing. Recent flavour campaigns include ‘Save Our Swirled’ for climate change and ‘I Dough, I Dough’ in support of equal marriage in the US, reflecting the founders’ liberal political views.
Just two days ago, the founders were in a political protest outside the US capitol with 300 other protestors. They were campaigning with Democracy Awakening, pushing for a vote to allow President Obama’s nomination for Supreme Court to be pushed through. PPE applicants should consider the success or detraction which protests have caused in US history, particularly in relation to motivating congress or pushing through Law.
Ben & Jerry did not appear distressed by their arrest, with Ben quoted as saying “the history of our country is that nothing happens until people start putting their bodies on the line and risk getting arrested”. HSPS applicants might be interested in Ben’s limited edition run of Bernie’s Yearning; an ice cream in support of presidential candidate Bernie Sanders which was a mint ice cream topped with a large circular disk meant to represent the 1% consisting of the wealthiest members of society. The message Ben was presenting? That to get to the ice cream, the 1% disc had to be broken up and spread among the 99% of ice cream.
- Oxford and Cambridge International Grade Requirements If you’re applying to Cambridge or Oxford but you’ve not... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement 2 “Beyond this essential interest in the subject, I find that... Read more >
- Course By Course Fact Sheet This helpful guide sets out by course what grades you... Read more >
- Medical & Biological Sciences Reading Lists Medicine and the whole range of Biological Sciences are highly... Read more >
- Bursaries Both Oxford and Cambridge are committed to the principle that... Read more >
- ELAT mini mock paper If you’re applying to read English at Oxford, you will... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: The Age of Census A census-taker knocks on a door, and asks the woman... Read more >
- PPE: answer like a pro If you’re applying for Politics, Philosophy and Economics (PPE) or... Read more >
- MAT overview If you’re applying for Maths or Computer Science at Oxford you will need... Read more >
- HAT overview If you’re applying for History, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- The Great Collection of Past Oxbridge Interview Questions The great thing about an Oxbridge interview is that it... Read more >
- Download an English Personal Statement “My background as a student at a European School, including... Read more >
- February’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Using stats: dos and don’ts When making an application, you must be careful about using... Read more >
- Cambridge college snapshots Despite having a smaller number of colleges than Oxford, each of... Read more >
- Experimental Psychology & Psychological and Behavioural Sciences (PBS) Reading List If you are interested in Psychology, Oxford offers the Psychology... Read more >
- What Results Do You Need In Your Exams? At the heart of every Oxbridge offer is an excellent... Read more >
- What makes a good interview? The notion of an academic interview with prominent Oxbridge academics is a major... Read more >
- Your Open Day Guide Open Days can be an extremely useful way of finding... Read more >
- Maths & Hard Sciences: answer like a pro Maths, Physics, Chemistry – they’re brilliant because there is a right... Read more >
- 5 Easy Ways To Support Your Son Or Daughter Before Their Oxbridge Interviews The weeks before the Oxford and Cambridge interviews are a... Read more >
- Download a Philosophy Personal Statement “Philosophy of the mind is my particular interest, especially the... Read more >
- Admissions Tests: our tips as featured in the Independent Last year, the Independent asked us to provide some simple... Read more >
- ELAT overview If you’re applying for English, or its joint schools, you... Read more >