The French government is set to come out in support of draft legislation banning catwalk models deemed to be excessively thin.
The bill will also impose fines on the fashion house or modelling agencies involved in hiring the offending models. Some fashion agents, it is claimed, could even be sent to jail if found guilty of promoting size-zero culture. When the new laws are passed, France will join Italy, Spain and Israel, which have all enacted legislation to ban overly thin models from participating in fashion events.
The law would make it mandatory for models to have frequent weight checks. If the law is broken, models found to be breaking the law could be hit with fines of up to €75 000. Any staff breaching the law could face half a year in jail, according to the magazine Le Parisien. Applicants for Medicine will be interested in the health implications which result from being extremely thin – will proposals such as these help combat the scourge of anorexia, which is so prevalent in the 21st century?
Law applicants could pick up on the legal aspects of the story, in considering what challenges legislators face when drafting a law which is designed, in effect, to outlaw a particular lifestyle choice.
Finally, HSPS applicants might wish to consider the sociological issues involved. How do role models in society affect human behaviour, particularly that of young people?
- Personal Statement Solution: Brainstorm Sheet Writing your personal statement may just be the grimmest part... Read more >
- Bursaries Both Oxford and Cambridge are committed to the principle that... Read more >
- Download a Philosophy Personal Statement “Philosophy of the mind is my particular interest, especially the... Read more >
- Access and Financial Support at Oxbridge As two of the world’s top universities, both Oxford and... Read more >
- The Differences Between Similar Courses At Oxford and Cambridge For some applicants, deciding between applying to Oxford or Cambridge... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: The Age of Census A census-taker knocks on a door, and asks the woman... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: a game of chess We asked one of our top Maths Oxbridge tutors for... Read more >
- PAT mini mock paper & answers The Physics Aptitude Test or PAT is required by Oxford... Read more >
- PAT overview If you’re applying for Physics, Materials or a relevant joint... Read more >
- Experimental Psychology & Psychological and Behavioural Sciences (PBS) Reading List If you are interested in Psychology, Oxford offers the Psychology... Read more >
- Communications expert top tips One of our communications specialists, has his own advice for... Read more >
- College selection checklist Your college at Oxford or Cambridge is where you will... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge Example Questions and Answers If you have completed the TSA Cambridge course report and are... Read more >
- Interactive Interview Exercise Manual ‘What should I expect at my Oxbridge interview?’ ‘How will... Read more >
- Economics & Logic Puzzle: ticket touts We asked top Economics blogger Resham Kotecha to challenge us... Read more >
- MAT mini mock paper & answers If you are planning to apply to Oxford to read... Read more >
- Download a Law Personal Statement “Participating in a Citizenship Foundation Mock Trial Competition during Year... Read more >
- Physical, Mathematical & Chemical Sciences Reading Lists If you’re applying for Physics, Natural Sciences (P), Maths, Computer... Read more >
- UKCAT mini mock paper & answers If you are applying for Medicine or Dentistry, many of... Read more >
- Cambridge college snapshots Despite having a smaller number of colleges than Oxford, each of... Read more >
- Biological Sciences & Medicine: answer like a pro What kind of questions can you expect in an Oxford... Read more >
- MLAT overview If you’re applying for Modern Languages, or their joint schools, you... Read more >
- Personal Statement Workbook Download A personal statement is a unique document which is all... Read more >
- The Great Collection of Past Oxbridge Interview Questions The great thing about an Oxbridge interview is that it... Read more >