The French government is set to come out in support of draft legislation banning catwalk models deemed to be excessively thin.
The bill will also impose fines on the fashion house or modelling agencies involved in hiring the offending models. Some fashion agents, it is claimed, could even be sent to jail if found guilty of promoting size-zero culture. When the new laws are passed, France will join Italy, Spain and Israel, which have all enacted legislation to ban overly thin models from participating in fashion events.
The law would make it mandatory for models to have frequent weight checks. If the law is broken, models found to be breaking the law could be hit with fines of up to €75 000. Any staff breaching the law could face half a year in jail, according to the magazine Le Parisien. Applicants for Medicine will be interested in the health implications which result from being extremely thin – will proposals such as these help combat the scourge of anorexia, which is so prevalent in the 21st century?
Law applicants could pick up on the legal aspects of the story, in considering what challenges legislators face when drafting a law which is designed, in effect, to outlaw a particular lifestyle choice.
Finally, HSPS applicants might wish to consider the sociological issues involved. How do role models in society affect human behaviour, particularly that of young people?
- Information on choosing a course at Oxford or Cambridge “Perhaps it is because Oxbridge encourages more ‘traditional’ A Level... Read more >
- Oxford college snapshots With 35 colleges and Permanent Private Halls, choosing how to... Read more >
- TSA overview A huge range of subjects at both Oxford and Cambridge... Read more >
- Download a Law Personal Statement 2 “I have read The Origins of the Second World War... Read more >
- BMAT overview & tips If you’re applying for Medicine, Biomedical Sciences or Veterinary Medicine you... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test mini mock paper & answers Many Cambridge colleges require applicants for Modern Languages to sit... Read more >
- Download a Law Personal Statement “Participating in a Citizenship Foundation Mock Trial Competition during Year... Read more >
- Taking a Gap Year There are a number of advantages to taking a gap... Read more >
- Course By Course Fact Sheet This helpful guide sets out by course what grades you... Read more >
- ELAT overview If you’re applying for English, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- University Admissions Tests: How Would You Reply? Here we have a few questions and answers to sample... Read more >
- The Great Collection of Past Oxbridge Interview Questions The great thing about an Oxbridge interview is that it... Read more >
- Access and Financial Support at Oxbridge As two of the world’s top universities, both Oxford and... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge Access Schemes Oxford and Cambridge aim to offer places to the best... Read more >
- Oxbridge Open Day Guide With open days drawing ever nearer, applicants and parents alike... Read more >
- Classics and Arch & Anth Reading Lists If you’re applying for Classics, or for Archaeology and Anthropology,... Read more >
- Communications expert top tips One of our communications specialists, has his own advice for... Read more >
- MLAT overview If you’re applying for Modern Languages, or their joint schools, you... Read more >
- PAT mini mock paper & answers The Physics Aptitude Test or PAT is required by Oxford... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge Example Questions and Answers If you have completed the TSA Cambridge course report and are... Read more >
- July’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- The Most Competitive Subjects At Oxbridge (And How To Choose Wisely) Oxford and Cambridge are two of the best universities in the... Read more >
- 20 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- UCAT mini mock paper & answers If you are applying for Medicine or Dentistry, many of... Read more >