New analysis shows that the number of people identifying as having no religion rose sharply between 2011 and 2014 from 25% to 48.5%. This means that, for the first time ever in England and Wales, people with no religious beliefs outnumber Christians, who make up 43.8% of the population when all denominations are included. The sharp decline in religious affiliation as noted in the British Social Attitudes survey over the last thirty years, is likely to further disconcert leaders of organised religion. However, the survey has also highlighted some interesting regional differences, with inner London actually possessing the lowest number of people with no religious affiliation. Indeed, the Church of England argues that the world is actually become more religious and the lack of religious belief in the UK reflects its growing diversity and plurality.
Students applying to read Theology should consider the interesting questions this raises about the role of religion in an increasingly secular age and the options available to religious leaders to tackle falling congregation sizes.
Those hoping to study HSPS may wish to consider the declining religious affiliation in England and Wales in a sociological terms and the effect of immigration on changes in religious belief.
Politics applicants may wish to consider whether the Church of England should be disestablished if it is failing to represent a plurality of the population and the constitutional consequences this may entail.
- Personal Statement Solution: Brainstorm Sheet Writing your personal statement may just be the grimmest part... Read more >
- Law: answer like a pro Law is a notoriously competitive subject; this, along with the... Read more >
- Experimental Psychology & Psychological and Behavioural Sciences (PBS) Reading List If you are interested in Psychology, Oxford offers the Psychology... Read more >
- Is Oxbridge right for me? Have you asked yourself why you are planning to apply... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test overview If you’re applying to read Law at Cambridge you will probably need... Read more >
- ELAT mini mock paper If you’re applying to read English at Oxford, you will... Read more >
- Personal Statement Workbook Download A personal statement is a unique document which is all... Read more >
- BMAT overview & tips If you’re applying for Medicine, Biomedical Sciences or Veterinary Medicine you... Read more >
- TSA Oxford mini mock & answers Thinking is very important to Oxford, so they’ve devised an... Read more >
- Access and Financial Support at Oxbridge As two of the world’s top universities, both Oxford and... Read more >
- Classics and Arch & Anth Reading Lists If you’re applying for Classics, or for Archaeology and Anthropology,... Read more >
- English: answer like a pro We have a lot of questions year on year from... Read more >
- Using stats: dos and don’ts When making an application, you must be careful about using... Read more >
- Modern Languages and Linguistics Reading Lists Applying for languages? It’s always difficult to narrow down what... Read more >
- Oxford college snapshots With 35 colleges and Permanent Private Halls, choosing how to... Read more >
- English Language and Literature Reading List If you're applying for English, have a look at our... Read more >
- Choosing The Right A-Levels Picking subjects at A level can be a difficult decision... Read more >
- Law Reading List Cambridge Law and Oxford Law reading lists and recommended reading. Read more >
- Medical & Biological Sciences Reading Lists Medicine and the whole range of Biological Sciences are highly... Read more >
- The Architecture of an Education: what are colleges all about? Explaining the difference between Oxford and Cambridge colleges and the... Read more >
- Statistics: 2015 Annual Survey Want to find out what your chances are of getting... Read more >
- TSA overview A huge range of subjects at both Oxford and Cambridge... Read more >
- How is the BMAT marked? The BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) is marked significantly differently from... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test mini mock paper & answers If you are applying to do Law at Cambridge, chances... Read more >