New analysis shows that the number of people identifying as having no religion rose sharply between 2011 and 2014 from 25% to 48.5%. This means that, for the first time ever in England and Wales, people with no religious beliefs outnumber Christians, who make up 43.8% of the population when all denominations are included. The sharp decline in religious affiliation as noted in the British Social Attitudes survey over the last thirty years, is likely to further disconcert leaders of organised religion. However, the survey has also highlighted some interesting regional differences, with inner London actually possessing the lowest number of people with no religious affiliation. Indeed, the Church of England argues that the world is actually become more religious and the lack of religious belief in the UK reflects its growing diversity and plurality.
Students applying to read Theology should consider the interesting questions this raises about the role of religion in an increasingly secular age and the options available to religious leaders to tackle falling congregation sizes.
Those hoping to study HSPS may wish to consider the declining religious affiliation in England and Wales in a sociological terms and the effect of immigration on changes in religious belief.
Politics applicants may wish to consider whether the Church of England should be disestablished if it is failing to represent a plurality of the population and the constitutional consequences this may entail.
- MAT overview If you’re applying for Maths or Computer Science at Oxford you will need... Read more >
- Statistics: 2015 Annual Survey Want to find out what your chances are of getting... Read more >
- The Architecture of an Education: what are colleges all about? Explaining the difference between Oxford and Cambridge colleges and the... Read more >
- Physical, Mathematical & Chemical Sciences Reading Lists If you’re applying for Physics, Natural Sciences (P), Maths, Computer... Read more >
- BMAT overview & tips If you’re applying for Medicine, Biomedical Sciences or Veterinary Medicine you... Read more >
- Human Social and Political Science (HSPS) Reading List If you are applying for HSPS at Cambridge, it is... Read more >
- Is Oxbridge right for me? Have you asked yourself why you are planning to apply... Read more >
- Download a Biology Personal Statement “Assisting with the post mortem of a dairy cow during... Read more >
- Download an English Personal Statement “My background as a student at a European School, including... Read more >
- What’s the Most Important Part of Your Application? An application to Oxford or Cambridge involves various different elements,... Read more >
- What makes a good interview? The notion of an academic interview with prominent Oxbridge academics is a major... Read more >
- Communications expert top tips One of our communications specialists, has his own advice for... Read more >
- Personal statement: our tips in the Independent Here are 3 quick tips every hopeful should consider before... Read more >
- UCAS: A How To Guide The process of applying to university through UCAS can seem... Read more >
- Oxbridge Open Day Guide With open days drawing ever nearer, applicants and parents alike... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test mini mock paper & answers Many Cambridge colleges require applicants for Modern Languages to sit... Read more >
- ELAT overview If you’re applying for English, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test overview If you’re applying for Modern and Medieval Languages at Cambridge,... Read more >
- Download a Physics Personal Statement “Over the past few years I have become gradually more... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge International Grade Requirements If you’re applying to Cambridge or Oxford but you’ve not... Read more >
- What You Need To Know About A Level Reforms The A Level system that has been in place since... Read more >
- Biological Sciences & Medicine: answer like a pro What kind of questions can you expect in an Oxford... Read more >
- 5 Easy Ways To Support Your Son Or Daughter Before Their Oxbridge Interviews The weeks before the Oxford and Cambridge interviews are a... Read more >
- PAT overview If you’re applying for Physics, Materials or a relevant joint... Read more >