It has been revealed that humans are not the only ones to take personal grooming seriously. For insects, a lack of fastidiousness can be a matter of life and death, impacting mating, communication and their sense of smell.
Alexander Hackmann and colleagues from the Department of Zoology have undertaken the first biomechanical investigation, showing a potential correlation between the hygiene devices used by ants and developments in nanotechnology. The Cambridge researchers have used mechanical experiments and close-up videos to identify the microscopic combs and brushes used by ants to clean their antennae. Their findings could have significant ramifications for nanotechnology, where contamination of small things, especially electronic devices, can be hugely problematic.
Camponotus rufifemur ants possess a specialised cleaning structure on their front legs that is actively used to groom their antennae. A similar bioinspired device could be developed for cleaning on micro and nano devices.
Applicants of Biological Sciences should read further into the link between insect mechanisms and technological developments. Computer Science applicants can further explore how biological experiments influence practical applications in computation. Human Science and HSPS applicants may want to explore the correlation between biomedical and empirical research.
- What’s so special about Oxford and Cambridge? Both Oxford and Cambridge have fearsome reputations. The Oxbridge system... Read more >
- What makes a good interview? The notion of an academic interview with prominent Oxbridge academics is a major... Read more >
- Oxford or Cambridge? Many applicants know that they want the best, but when... Read more >
- Music Scholarships There is a wide range of musical scholarships available to... Read more >
- Biological Sciences & Medicine: answer like a pro What kind of questions can you expect in an Oxford... Read more >
- Cambridge’s Supplementary Application Questionnaire After you have submitted your UCAS application to apply to... Read more >
- The Differences Between Similar Courses At Oxford and Cambridge For some applicants, deciding between applying to Oxford or Cambridge... Read more >
- COPA & International Deadlines Most deadlines are the same for all those applying to... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement 2 “Further work experience has highlighted some of the demands and challenges... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test mini mock paper & answers If you are applying to do Law at Cambridge, chances... Read more >
- Information on choosing a course at Oxford or Cambridge “Perhaps it is because Oxbridge encourages more ‘traditional’ A Level... Read more >
- Mathematics Reading List Studying Mathematics at university requires a different approach to studying... Read more >
- What’s the Most Important Part of Your Application? An application to Oxford or Cambridge involves various different elements,... Read more >
- Medicine, Maths, and Economics Puzzles We asked three of our top Medicine, Maths, and... Read more >
- Maths & Hard Sciences: answer like a pro Maths, Physics, Chemistry – they’re brilliant because there is a right... Read more >
- Is a “Religious Morality” rational? One of our Oxbridge graduate tutors, Emma, looks into the... Read more >
- 30 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- International Application Calendar Keeping on top of the various deadlines and decisions when... Read more >
- For Your Reference: Admissions Test Factfiles The majority of Oxford courses, and an increasing number of... Read more >
- Music Reading List Applying for Music at Cambridge or Oxford requires a range... Read more >
- Your Open Day Guide Open Days can be an extremely useful way of finding... Read more >
- Oxbridge: the global impact Concerning UK university admissions, UCAS have released some interesting stats.... Read more >
- Download a History & English Personal Statement “Evidently reading is a major passion and Graham Greene has... Read more >
- Philosophy Reading List If you are interested in Philosophy, there are several options... Read more >