Three years ago things were not looking too good for the global population of nuns. The vocation seemed likely to be in danger of extinction, with a 2014 report from the Vatican confirming that its workforce had decreased by over two thirds since the 1960s, with the average age of a Roman Catholic nun in the region of seventy-five to eighty years old. These numbers were reflected elsewhere in the world, according to the Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate, with the numbers of nuns in the United States dropping a significant 72% from the figure reported in the 60s, The Vatican report found that sisters cited the lack of recognition they receive within the church as a possible reason for their decline.
The world movement seems to suggest that, with an aging population and few younger women willing to take up the mantel, the sisterhood is likely to be wiped out within twenty-five years. However, in the UK, we buck the trend. The sisters have acted and the numbers have trebled in the last five years which is ‘The Sound of Music’ to the Catholic Church’s ears.
The most interesting question is why? The most likely reason is that, recent years, the Catholic Church has undergone somewhat of a rebranding. After years of band press relating to contentious issues, such as abortion and homosexuality, the Church has opened its doors so young people can see the good works nuns do in the community, such as with young single parents living below the poverty line.
Historians should consider the good work the changing place of nuns throughout time. Human, Social and Political Science (HSPS) hopefuls would be prudent to consider the impact of religious good works upon the community and the impact of an aging population on established orders. Philosophy and Theology should consider the impact of the modern times on established religions.
- Application Calendar Making an application to Oxford or Cambridge can seem like... Read more >
- Personal Statement Action Plan: Section 2 of 2 You’ve done your reading. You’ve made your brainstorm. You’ve possibly... Read more >
- COPA & International Deadlines Most deadlines are the same for all those applying to... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge Example Questions and Answers If you have completed the TSA Cambridge course report and are... Read more >
- Download a Law Personal Statement “Participating in a Citizenship Foundation Mock Trial Competition during Year... Read more >
- PAT overview If you’re applying for Physics, Materials or a relevant joint... Read more >
- Communications expert top tips One of our communications specialists, has his own advice for... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement Read our sample Medicine personal statement for application tips. Read more >
- Statistics: 2015 Annual Survey Want to find out what your chances are of getting... Read more >
- Maths & Hard Sciences: answer like a pro Maths, Physics, Chemistry – they’re brilliant because there is a right... Read more >
- Are my grades good enough for Oxbridge? Grades are an area of much misunderstanding when it comes... Read more >
- Philosophy Reading List If you are interested in Philosophy, there are several options... Read more >
- Classics and Arch & Anth Reading Lists If you’re applying for Classics, or for Archaeology and Anthropology,... Read more >
- Cambridge Law Test overview If you’re applying to read Law at Cambridge you will probably need... Read more >
- Music Scholarships There is a wide range of musical scholarships available to... Read more >
- Sports psychology for interviews Channel your inner champion Major sports personalities use these techniques... Read more >
- Funding Your Oxbridge Degree Many people are under the impression that it is more... Read more >
- 30 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- Social and Political Sciences Reading List We’ve brought together a wide-ranging bibliography to help those applying... Read more >
- Cambridge college snapshots Despite having a smaller number of colleges than Oxford, each of... Read more >
- College selection checklist Your college at Oxford or Cambridge is where you will... Read more >
- MAT mini mock paper & answers If you are planning to apply to Oxford to read... Read more >
- LNAT ‘So you want to go to Oxbridge’ Answers If you have been reading our book ‘So you want... Read more >
- BMAT overview & tips If you’re applying for Medicine, Biomedical Sciences or Veterinary Medicine you... Read more >