How can you hold machines accountable for their actions? If you’re being unwillingly watched by a camera, if you can’t access your money because a bank machine blocks your card, who is responsible? A New York conference on technology says that objects – not just people – are responsible.
The age-old question of who is responsible for an action, the gun or the hand that holds it, is a more relevant question than ever in this age of increased technological autonomy, and objects acting independent of the entire will of a human. Kate Crawford, of Microsoft Research, has argued that technology companies disassociate themselves from the actions of their machines because objects are viewed as being liable to fault independent of owner responsibility. She argues that this shouldn’t be the case – and that Medieval Law shows us the way forward to hold people and objects accountable.
In Medieval England, a deodand was the name for a transition of property to person. If an object killed someone, for example, it would become a deodand and would be forfeit to the monarchy. The owner of the object was therefore responsible for paying a fine equal to the value of the object to the court – in recompense for the crime the object was seen to have committed. Crawford argues that a similar system would ensure technology companies and all corporations would be accountable for their actions.
History students should investigate the deodand in Medieval England, and particularly the deodand’s revival in the 1830s where railway companies were briefly charged with fines equal to the cost of the train for passenger deaths. Computer Science applicants should consider how much responsibility humans should take in the deployment of algorithms and technology that have consequences for human freedom.
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement Read our sample Medicine personal statement for application tips. Read more >
- Stats report: our annual survey Every year, we survey hundreds of applicants who applied the... Read more >
- Download a Law Personal Statement “Participating in a Citizenship Foundation Mock Trial Competition during Year... Read more >
- LNAT mini mock paper & answers The LNAT, required for those applying for Law at Oxford... Read more >
- Oxbridge Open Day Guide With open days drawing ever nearer, applicants and parents alike... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test overview If you’re applying for Modern and Medieval Languages at Cambridge,... Read more >
- HAT mini mock paper The History Aptitude Test or ‘HAT’ must be sat by... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: The Age of Census A census-taker knocks on a door, and asks the woman... Read more >
- ELAT overview If you’re applying for English, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- Course By Course Fact Sheet This helpful guide sets out by course what grades you... Read more >
- Social and Political Sciences Reading List We’ve brought together a wide-ranging bibliography to help those applying... Read more >
- Your Open Day Guide Open Days can be an extremely useful way of finding... Read more >
- BMAT mini mock paper & answers With over 90% of applicants now preparing for the admissions... Read more >
- MAT mini mock paper & answers If you are planning to apply to Oxford to read... Read more >
- Music Reading List Applying for Music at Cambridge or Oxford requires a range... Read more >
- Oxbridge: the global impact Concerning UK university admissions, UCAS have released some interesting stats.... Read more >
- Is a “Religious Morality” rational? One of our Oxbridge graduate tutors, Emma, looks into the... Read more >
- Download a Biology Personal Statement “Assisting with the post mortem of a dairy cow during... Read more >
- What Results Do You Need In Your Exams? At the heart of every Oxbridge offer is an excellent... Read more >
- Physical, Mathematical & Chemical Sciences Reading Lists If you’re applying for Physics, Natural Sciences (P), Maths, Computer... Read more >
- Download a Physics Personal Statement “Over the past few years I have become gradually more... Read more >
- Music Scholarships There is a wide range of musical scholarships available to... Read more >
- Personal Statement Solution: Brainstorm Sheet Writing your personal statement may just be the grimmest part... Read more >
- Cambridge college snapshots Despite having a smaller number of colleges than Oxford, each of... Read more >