‘Go’, an ancient Chinese board game, was considered by DeepMind’s CEO to be ‘the only game left above chess’, which computers conquered in 1997 when IBM’s Deep Blue defeated the world champion. The game seems simple, but there are trillions of possible moves, which makes it difficult to follow a particular strategy. Mastering the game means using intuition to react to the twists and turns that appear.
Many had believed that it would be at least another decade before artificial intelligence developed enough to conquer ‘Go’, but AlphaGo has proven them wrong. Its mastery of the game is so significant to AI development because of the reliance the top players have on intuition as they play the game. DeepMind built ‘reinforcement learning’ into the programme, which measnt hat the machine plays against itself and adjusted its own neural networks based on trial and error. The program is capable of narrowing down the search space for the next move from the near-infinite and of anticipating the long-results of each move.
Computer Science applicants should look more into AI and the programming used on Alpha Go that has led to its victory, while Mathematics students should investigate the mathematical side of the board game, and how a computer can better calculate the best possible move than the human mind.
In a shock turn of events, Lee Sedol finally beat AlphaGo in their fourth match against each other. Those watching, including the CEO of DeepMind, believe that the computer did make some mistakes, prompting the question of whether AI will ever truly outsmart the human mind, or whether this loss will only help the program to grow stronger. Students applying for Anthropology or HSPS should consider the wider implications of the development of AI, and how this may affect the society we live in.
- Personal Statement Workbook Download A personal statement is a unique document which is all... Read more >
- What You Need To Know About A Level Reforms The A Level system that has been in place since... Read more >
- International Applicant Handbook This incredible resource will guide you through every stage of... Read more >
- Download a Medicine Personal Statement Read our sample Medicine personal statement for application tips. Read more >
- UCAS: A How To Guide The process of applying to university through UCAS can seem... Read more >
- The Most Competitive Subjects At Oxbridge (And How To Choose Wisely) Oxford and Cambridge are two of the best universities in the... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge Access Schemes Oxford and Cambridge aim to offer places to the best... Read more >
- TSA overview A huge range of subjects at both Oxford and Cambridge... Read more >
- January’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- April’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- Pooling: Fast Facts You may have heard people talk about “pooling”, or maybe... Read more >
- Download an Economics Personal Statement 2 “Beyond this essential interest in the subject, I find that... Read more >
- Taking a Gap Year There are a number of advantages to taking a gap... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test mini mock paper & answers Many Cambridge colleges require applicants for Modern Languages to sit... Read more >
- Download a Philosophy Personal Statement “Philosophy of the mind is my particular interest, especially the... Read more >
- English: answer like a pro We have a lot of questions year on year from... Read more >
- 5 Easy Ways To Support Your Son Or Daughter Before Their Oxbridge Interviews The weeks before the Oxford and Cambridge interviews are a... Read more >
- PAT mini mock paper & answers The Physics Aptitude Test or PAT is required by Oxford... Read more >
- BMAT mini mock paper & answers With over 90% of applicants now preparing for the admissions... Read more >
- Philosophy Reading List If you are interested in Philosophy, there are several options... Read more >
- ELAT overview If you’re applying for English, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- MAT mini mock paper & answers If you are planning to apply to Oxford to read... Read more >
- Music Reading List Applying for Music at Cambridge or Oxford requires a range... Read more >
- US University Applications: How Decisions Are Made Article contributed by: Dr Jon Tabbert, US university admissions educational... Read more >