A new antimalarial drug has been developed by researchers at Dundee University. The compound, entitled DDD107498, was developed by the university’s Drug Discovery Unit and the Medicines for Malaria Venture.
Medicine applicants should be aware that many parasites have become resistant to current malaria treatments. The exciting discovery therefore comes at a critical stage in the development of treating the deadly disease.
Biomedical Sciences applicants may join scientists in hailing the discovery as potentially ground-breaking due to its tri-fold ability to treat malaria, whilst also protecting people from the disease and preventing its spread, all in a single dose.
Malaria is found in more than 100 countries, with an estimated 3.3 billion people at risk of contracting the mosquito-borne illness. HSPS and Geography applicants may want to consider the role global organisations, such as the World Health Organisation, play in reducing the spread of illnesses in less economically developed countries. PPE applicants may also be interested in discussing levels of international and domestic funding available for medical research and development.
- Outside reading: the key to a good application When it comes to writing your personal statement and preparing... Read more >
- The OA School’s Magazine: Issue 1 Last year, Oxbridge Applications launched its first ever Schools’ Magazine,... Read more >
- Choosing a course From Arch and Anth to Veterinary Medicine, the range of... Read more >
- ELAT overview If you’re applying for English, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- College selection checklist Your college at Oxford or Cambridge is where you will... Read more >
- Mathematics Reading List Studying Mathematics at university requires a different approach to studying... Read more >
- Choosing The Right A-Levels Picking subjects at A level can be a difficult decision... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test overview If you’re applying for Modern and Medieval Languages at Cambridge,... Read more >
- HAT overview If you’re applying for History, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- Course By Course Fact Sheet This helpful guide sets out by course what grades you... Read more >
- Download an English Personal Statement “My background as a student at a European School, including... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test mini mock paper & answers Many Cambridge colleges require applicants for Modern Languages to sit... Read more >
- Is a “Religious Morality” rational? One of our Oxbridge graduate tutors, Emma, looks into the... Read more >
- International Applicant Handbook This incredible resource will guide you through every stage of... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge Access Schemes Oxford and Cambridge aim to offer places to the best... Read more >
- Modern Languages and Linguistics Reading Lists Applying for languages? It’s always difficult to narrow down what... Read more >
- History Reading Lists The main challenge in the step up from school to... Read more >
- Funding Your Oxbridge Degree Many people are under the impression that it is more... Read more >
- International Application Calendar Keeping on top of the various deadlines and decisions when... Read more >
- Communications expert top tips One of our communications specialists, has his own advice for... Read more >
- TSA Oxford mini mock & answers Thinking is very important to Oxford, so they’ve devised an... Read more >
- What’s so special about Oxford and Cambridge? Both Oxford and Cambridge have fearsome reputations. The Oxbridge system... Read more >
- Stats report: our annual survey Every year, we survey hundreds of applicants who applied the... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge Example Questions and Answers If you have completed the TSA Cambridge course report and are... Read more >