Have you ever heard of ‘sonochemistry’? It’s the study of how sound waves affect solid bodies, and a recent experiment carried out by researchers at Bern university have delved into it in the context of maturing cheeses.
The researchers used 9 barrels of Emmental cheese that they put in a cheese cellar and over the process of six months subjected each cheese to a different type of music.
One cheese listened to ‘The Magic Flute’ by Mozart, another rocked out to ‘Stairway to Heaven’ by Led Zeppelin. Other cheeses were given ‘A Tribe Called Quest’, techno music and specific frequency tones. Another cheese matured simply in silence.
It was concluded that the cheese exposed to A Tribe Called Quest had the best flavour compared to other music. It was said to have a better aroma and flavour.
ZHAW Food Perception Research Group, which concluded that the cheese exposed to music had a milder flavor compared to the non-musical cheese. They also found that the hip-hop cheese had a stronger aroma and stronger flavour than other samples. With these initial findings, the cheeses will be examined at the molecular level to see if there are any structural differences that have been brought about by the music.
‘Sonochemistry’ is a niche area of science but being able to talk about unusual areas of research shows a lot of initiative in an interview situation. If you can discuss evidence from a variety of perspectives, this will show great research skills.
- The Differences Between Similar Courses At Oxford and Cambridge For some applicants, deciding between applying to Oxford or Cambridge... Read more >
- Oxbridge Open Day Guide With open days drawing ever nearer, applicants and parents alike... Read more >
- Download a History & English Personal Statement “Evidently reading is a major passion and Graham Greene has... Read more >
- Your free E-book… “So You Want To Go To Oxbridge? Tell me about a banana…” If you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge, there are... Read more >
- Download an English Personal Statement “My background as a student at a European School, including... Read more >
- Physical, Mathematical & Chemical Sciences Reading Lists If you’re applying for Physics, Natural Sciences (P), Maths, Computer... Read more >
- Philosophy Reading List If you are interested in Philosophy, there are several options... Read more >
- MLAT overview If you’re applying for Modern Languages, or their joint schools, you... Read more >
- Human Social and Political Science (HSPS) Reading List If you are applying for HSPS at Cambridge, it is... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test mini mock paper & answers Many Cambridge colleges require applicants for Modern Languages to sit... Read more >
- The Great Collection of Past Oxbridge Interview Questions The great thing about an Oxbridge interview is that it... Read more >
- The Architecture of an Education: what are colleges all about? Explaining the difference between Oxford and Cambridge colleges and the... Read more >
- Your Open Day Guide Open Days can be an extremely useful way of finding... Read more >
- History of Art Reading List History of Art at Oxford and Cambridge allows you to... Read more >
- COPA & International Deadlines Most deadlines are the same for all those applying to... Read more >
- Course By Course Fact Sheet This helpful guide sets out by course what grades you... Read more >
- LNAT mini mock paper & answers The LNAT, required for those applying for Law at Oxford... Read more >
- MAT mini mock paper & answers If you are planning to apply to Oxford to read... Read more >
- Information on choosing a course at Oxford or Cambridge “Perhaps it is because Oxbridge encourages more ‘traditional’ A Level... Read more >
- Music Scholarships There is a wide range of musical scholarships available to... Read more >
- Personal Statement Action Plan: Section 1 of 2 The UCAS personal statement will be a key part of... Read more >
- TSA Cambridge mini mock & answers The Thinking Skills Assessment is required for a number of... Read more >
- International Applicant Handbook This incredible resource will guide you through every stage of... Read more >
- How is the BMAT marked? The BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) is marked significantly differently from... Read more >