More than 400 complete skeletons have been found beneath St John’s College, Cambridge.
The remains were found following renovations to the Old Divinity School, which required digging up the foundations of the old site leading head archaeologist, Dr Craig Cressford, to discover the beginnings of what they later discovered to be a medieval graveyard.
Given the location and display of the bodies, Archaeologists believe that the remains are from the Hospital of St John the Evangelist, dating from between 1200 and 1500 AD, for which St John’s College, Cambridge is named. The majority of the bodies were buried without coffins or burial goods, suggesting the cemetery was primarily used to inter the poor.
The bodies were largely of men, with very few women and children, demonstrating the graveyard’s main purpose of catering to poor scholars and ‘other wretched persons’. The graveyard also did not contain the bodies of clerics, suggesting that the graveyard had the specific purpose of housing laymen. HSPS applicants should consider the hospital’s policy of not caring for pregnant women, and what contemporary examples also show gender imbalance in healthcare.
Archaeologists also made the chilling discovery that many bodies did not fit into their graves, with the implication being that many graves were dug before they were required with the expectation of dead bodies to fill them. Human Sciences and History applicants should therefore explore how the burial of bodies can be useful when investigating people’s livelihood.
- PAT overview If you’re applying for Physics, Materials or a relevant joint... Read more >
- Application Calendar Making an application to Oxford or Cambridge can seem like... Read more >
- History Reading Lists The main challenge in the step up from school to... Read more >
- What’s the Most Important Part of Your Application? An application to Oxford or Cambridge involves various different elements,... Read more >
- Experimental Psychology & Psychological and Behavioural Sciences (PBS) Reading List If you are interested in Psychology, Oxford offers the Psychology... Read more >
- English Language and Literature Reading List If you're applying for English, have a look at our... Read more >
- Mathematics Reading List Studying Mathematics at university requires a different approach to studying... Read more >
- The Great Collection of Past Oxbridge Interview Questions The great thing about an Oxbridge interview is that it... Read more >
- ELAT overview If you’re applying for English, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- Information on choosing a course at Oxford or Cambridge “Perhaps it is because Oxbridge encourages more ‘traditional’ A Level... Read more >
- Physical, Mathematical & Chemical Sciences Reading Lists If you’re applying for Physics, Natural Sciences (P), Maths, Computer... Read more >
- HAT overview If you’re applying for History, or its joint schools, you... Read more >
- Oxford and Cambridge International Grade Requirements If you’re applying to Cambridge or Oxford but you’ve not... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: The Age of Census A census-taker knocks on a door, and asks the woman... Read more >
- Taking a Gap Year There are a number of advantages to taking a gap... Read more >
- June’s Top News Stories Read more about some of the biggest news stories to... Read more >
- MAT mini mock paper & answers If you are planning to apply to Oxford to read... Read more >
- Choosing a course From Arch and Anth to Veterinary Medicine, the range of... Read more >
- LNAT overview If you’re applying for Law at Oxford you will need to sit... Read more >
- 20 Real-Life Oxford and Cambridge Interview Questions The Oxford and Cambridge interviews are notorious for having academically... Read more >
- MLAT mini mock paper & answers The MLAT or Modern Languages Test is required by Oxford... Read more >
- Cambridge Language Test mini mock paper & answers Many Cambridge colleges require applicants for Modern Languages to sit... Read more >
- Maths Puzzle: a game of chess We asked one of our top Maths Oxbridge tutors for... Read more >
- Download a Physics Personal Statement “Over the past few years I have become gradually more... Read more >