Success at the Oxbridge interview commonly relies on two factors: some understanding of how your subject is studied beyond A Level, and the ability to investigate unfamiliar problems that may not have conclusive answers. In fact, the latter is often the most challenging aspect of the Oxbridge interview, as it requires an independent approach, not often required in the usual methods of learning in school.
The best way to develop this ability is to learn directly from a sample of undergraduate-style study. Our Subject Taster Days are designed to develop your university-level thinking beyond the school syllabus, giving you a solid grasp of how to pursue questions in a creative, independent and confident fashion.
Book your place
Bookings for this year’s Subject Taster Day are now open. For information on this year’s bookings, please contact our consultants on firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0)20 7499 2394.
Date: Saturday 1st July 2017
Location: St James Senior Girls’ School, 6 Earsby St, Kensington, London, W14 8SH
Subjects: Economics, PPE, Medicine, English and Engineering
Our Oxbridge-graduate consultants can fast-track your booking. Contact them via phone or email.
+44 (0)207 499 2394
What to expect
You’ll enrol in one of our subject-specific workshops, where you’ll work in small groups with a top Oxbridge-graduate tutor in the subject to expand your knowledge and develop your ideas. Included in the course is a Course Report, packed with research, reading materials and past Oxbridge interview questions in the subject. You’ll build lateral thinking with like-minded students in exercises that will develop your intellectual agility – a key skill for success in your application.
Our courses are held every year during the Summer holidays. Each subject course will be led by one of our top Oxbridge-graduate tutors in the subject. Our Subject Taster Days are intended to push students aged between 15 – 18 beyond their current school syllabus and help them experience learning that subject as they would at university.
We keep class sizes small (to a maximum of 12) in order to ensure a highly interactive and inclusive experience, so we encourage early booking to avoid disappointment.
Subject Taster Day Testimonials
I thought the day was invaluably helpful- it has really given me confidence that I am on the right track with my reading before the interview, whilst showing me what I need to work on. I was thoroughly impressed with our tutor; I thought he was informative with an evident passion for the subject. I also found it refreshing for the conversation to be led by the students, whereby we could take it in the direction of our interests.
Ellie, PPE Taster Day.
Katherine thorough enjoyed the Law Taster Day. She found it stimulating and challenging. She said she particularly enjoyed the opportunity to engage in debate and to work out arguments in a group forum as she has not had much experience of that before.
Alice, Law Taster Day.
I really enjoyed the strategy aspect – it was very enjoyable being able to think about business strategy, especially marketing the product. Game theory was also really interesting.
Felix, Economics Taster Day.
Yes I really enjoyed the Taster Day; it was a very good insight into what the application process is like. Our tutor was able to answer my questions on why he chose Oxford which was great. I think it was very useful for the application, especially the interview questions which were good fun, it also showed me the areas of maths that I need to concentrate on.
Francesco, Economics Taster Day.
Explore Your Subject In Our Reading Rooms
- Medical & Biological Sciences Reading Lists Medicine and the whole range of Biological Sciences are highly... Read more >
- Physical, Mathematical & Chemical Sciences Reading Lists If you’re applying for Physics, Natural Sciences (P), Maths, Computer... Read more >
- Social and Political Sciences Reading List We’ve brought together a wide-ranging bibliography to help those applying... Read more >
- Your free E-book… “So You Want To Go To Oxbridge? Tell me about a banana…” If you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge, there are... Read more >
- Modern Languages and Linguistics Reading Lists Applying for languages? It’s always difficult to narrow down what... Read more >
- Geography and Earth Sciences Reading Lists Whether you’re looking at Geography, Earth Sciences (Geology), or Land... Read more >
- Classics and Arch & Anth Reading Lists If you’re applying for Classics, or for Archaeology and Anthropology,... Read more >
- Outside reading: the key to a good application When it comes to writing your personal statement and preparing... Read more >
- Music Reading List Applying for Music at Cambridge or Oxford requires a range... Read more >
- Law Reading List Cambridge Law and Oxford Law reading lists and recommended reading. Read more >
- English Language and Literature Reading List If you're applying for English, have a look at our... Read more >
- Human Social and Political Science (HSPS) Reading List If you are applying for HSPS at Cambridge, it is... Read more >
- History Reading Lists The main challenge in the step up from school to... Read more >
- History of Art Reading List History of Art at Oxford and Cambridge allows you to... Read more >
- Experimental Psychology & Psychological and Behavioural Sciences (PBS) Reading List If you are interested in Psychology, Oxford offers the Psychology... Read more >
- Philosophy Reading List If you are interested in Philosophy, there are several options... Read more >
- Mathematics Reading List Studying Mathematics at university requires a different approach to studying... Read more >